Home Chat General Chat

Tri or Road bike

Hello all,

Just a quick question....

Im looking to purchase a bike for training and triathlons so my question is.....

Is it better to go straight to a Tri bike or start on a Road bike?

Any opinions are appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    It depends what kinds of races you enter really. TT bikes are excellent at flat or rolling courses, (london, windsor etc....) and road bikes are better at coping with tough hilly courses. Geometry plays a part, TT bikes are designed for you to be going flat out in an aerodynamic position. Where as road bikes are designed to tackle both flat chat on the drops and winching yourself up the side of an alp!!

Obviously it would be ideal to have both!! But in most situations one bike has to cope with training and racing. Again, look at the kind of races you'll be doing and see which one suits you, or do what most people do and get a road bike and put some decent aero bars on it.

Good luck!!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    cheers for the input.

I have just been given a hand me down bike..... an old CSK road bike, decent nick so that settles that. Im thinking I will use this bike to get my triathlon 'life' started and then upgrade to either a higher specced road bike or tri bike in the future. I really like to focus road bikes and love the Felt tri/TT bikes....

thanks
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Tri bikes are better for triathlons, but that means you have to train on them on the bars which apart from other issues can be lonely. The road bike is much more versatile and if you can only buy ONE bike then go for a tri friendly road bike. I deally get both - a road bike for the winter and a tri bike for tri season training and racing. I really would urge you to consider the Cervelo Soloist, which can be altered between tri geometry and road geometry (by adding tribars and flipping the seat-post). The Soloist is available as a carbon frame a super light carbon frame and a less expensive alloy frame - try Slane Cycles in Northern Ireland for the best deal - call don't email!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    thanks Treefrog, Ill have a look.