Home Chat General Chat

Practice

Well i have just finished my first open water race today in the sea at Weymouth Tri and all i can say is i was glad to be on my bike.

I have done some open water swimming but nothing prepared me for that.

Having never swam with other people it was a shock to be kicked elbowed and swimming in the wrong direction behind others.

Appart from those little problems the race went well with a very good bike and run legs.

To all of you venturing out for your first open water races all i can say is get out there and PRACTICE it will make a difference.

Does anyone have any advice on avoiding the battles it the water or is it just get used to it.

[:-]

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Hi mate, I think it in terms of avoiding the beating in the swim it all depends on how fast a swimmer you are.

If you are a strong swimmer you could aim to get up to the front, where you should be able to avoid the washing machine behind.

If you are not so confident on the swim the other option is to swim out wide, although this can depend on the course. The problem with this is that you will swim extra distance, as you will take the buoy wider. So this option depends a bit on the distance and how competitive you are!

Failing that, you may just have to get used to it, it is a fact of being a middle level swimmer that you will get caught up in the washing machine. I saw an interview with stuart hayes after last years london tri and he looked like he had gone 10 rounds with mike tyson, he was pretty sure he got elbowed in the eye aswell! But he was experienced enough to expect that kind of thing so it wasnt a shock.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Did my first race of this season today; worst swim experience in the 4 races that I've done!!!

I know there's some pulling around in the start, lets say the first 150-200 metres.

But this was extreme. After 1k I still got my legs jurked down, people swimming over each other, got my goggles knocked off for the first time ever.

Did 24.40 over 1400 metres, which isn't that good for me. I blame that darn washing machine[:'(].

There are some things that can be done as stated already above. But I think it mainly comes down to this:

Be really fast, or try to cope with it!!!
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    Well best i get the Daz out cos i think i will have to get used to the washing machine Cheers [:(]
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    Ironman uk 70.3 is gunna be a mass start this year [&:]

should be fun[8|]