Home Chat General Chat

Intervals.

BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
Reading the Runners Magazine that had the free Triathlon mag with it, in one of the articles it says that intervals of less than 400m are not worth doing due to slow heart rate response, by which I guess they mean by the time you are up to speed the hr is lagging, by the time you've slowed it has only just caught up. Now I do intense 100m intervals (from an old issue of 220) 3x100m @ 70% effort & jog back, 3 x100m @90% walk back, 3 x 70% & jog, adding intervals thru the phase up to 5 or 6 efforts. So am I wasting my time, cos it sure do hurt!

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I saw that too and thought what a load of **&^%.You do short intervals in swimming,they advocate 8 second sprints on the bike,so if the intervals you do improve you speed stick with it.As you get tired through the session your HR will stay higher longer so whether it is 100 or 400 doesn't really matter it is the overall time spent in the upper zones that count.(this may seem contradictory to my other thread regarding HR zones).

As for the 'new' magazine give it a couple of months as it degenerates to a copy of which celebrity does what Triathlon,gets re incorporated into Runners World and fades into the past.Spend your money on better mags like 'Inside Triathlon'.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well thanks for that reply..I always do intervals with my HRM on & stay in higher zones as you state when I am crawling along at the fatigue end..incidentally I just did the int above with 400m instead of 100, 2x400@70%, 2x400@90%, 2x400@70%..it still hurts..only for longer.

I only got the mag as it was a freebie, its triathlon lite isn't it? All a bit gossipy now & with the link to zest magazine...I don't think it will last 7 I won't buy it again.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I have just downloaded & analysed the data from 400m intervals 76% of time in a high zone, from a total time of 48min incl warm up & cooldown. Seemspretty good..now all I have to do is find data for my 100m intervals...here somewhere...