Home Chat General Chat

Fever after open water swim??

Last night within 5 minutes of leaving open water swim session started to get muscular aches and upon getting home a full blown fever. Have been laid up most of the day and wondered if anyone had ever had similar experience. Water was cloudy with strong smell of manure in places,so was paranoid about leptosporosis but have ruled it out due to incubation period of at least 2 days.

Any advice much appreciated, before I visit docs tomorrow.

Rob

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    You could get really paranoid and think Weil's Disease.Alot of water born infections affect the kidneys and internal organs.A blood test will rule out most things but may point to an underlying problem such as Parvovirus or other immune system virus's.Hope it is just a flu problem and nothing else.Best of luck.
  • Symptons now past and all clear from docs. Suggested it was 24 hour virus (lots going round apparently) and just a complete coincidence. Best to be on safe side though.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    My better half does a lot of canoeing and has always been in the habit of drinking coke when he gets out of the water - he swears buy it for stopping any sickness etc - don't know why but it works
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    So does Tom Boonen, but I'm not sure that it works!? [:D][:)]
  • SwimfanSwimfan Posts: 19
    Waterborne nasties take more than a few hours to cause illness. Chemicals are different though so don't discount water quality; sadly chemical leaks aren't a thing of the past.