Home Chat General Chat

breathing!

breathing out properly under water 1 stroke before breathing did the trick for me. Really concentrate on the exhale, it will help the inhale .

Hope it works for you

Comments

• now personally i find breathing quite easy, but put me in some water and, well i seem to just want to drink the whole pool! ive tried to breath bilaterally and that does help, but i dont seem to be able to get enough into my lungs, my stroke is pretty good, not perfect but getting there, the only problem is i have to keep resorting to breathing every 2nd stroke which then makes me slower!

has anyone got any tips for making the breathing part easier?

• cheers, is there any drills for that? someone told me that i should just exhale through my mouth, or do you reckon i should use my nose as well? looking back that is such an odd question!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This might sound daft, but are you breathing out enough? Make sure your lungs are empty before taking a breath & try not to gasp it in. There was a drill in 220 last winter where you stand in the deep end & bounce up & down head above/head below water level & just breathe gently in & out, its sort of calming & you feel how much your chest naturally pushes air out & lets enough back in...I may still have a copy around if you want I can photocopy & send..or scan it maybe. PM me.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    It's not an odd question. Just don't take it for granted, some things need to be thought about inpractice before they become habit.

I'd say go for the mouth, the nose won't let you exhale fast and enough (ok, no nose jokes please, lol )

You should keep the air in as long as possible (makes you float more), wait long enough. Breathe out good during recovering arm on breathing side.

Will definately be strange in the beginning, cause you need to think about something that goes naturally on land.

Try it, only gains to be made
  • cheers for that i have a few copies laying around from christmas so ill have a dig and see if i can find it. and thanks for the offer, ill pm you if it doesnt turn up.
  • cheers guys that is all making sense as if im not empty i cant get enough in! ill add it to my blog and see if it can help others! spread the message along with the love! one step at a time and everyone will be breathing bilaterally and going faster!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I personally found breaststroke was the answer!

if you do breaststroke the proper way i.e. diving forward and under on each stroke, not the granny way keeping your head above water, make exaggerated deep dives.

ok, now this is the key, keep you mouth open at all times, as you duck under actively exhale hard, but with a totally open mouth and in a relaxed way, as you surface stop breathing out and dont actively breath in! That doesnt mean hold your breath, you just keep your mouth open and let the rebound elasticity of your lungs take affect, and you lungs will rapidly refill, just in-time for you to duck under again, where you will once agen actively exhale.

Now the trick to this is really really exaggerated stokes, as this will provide you with enough time to breath out fully underwater, and breath in fully above water. I find that if my strokes are too small, and i dont exaggerate them, i dont have enough time do breath in an out properly.

ok, so do this at the start of each swim session, to get you into the relaxed rhythm of breathing and to warm you up. Now try it when you are crawling, breath out nice and relaxed but actively!, then let the rebound affect take care of breathing in.

If it doesnt work, try some more breaststroke. Also, you can always have a go at it in the bath, turning your head to the side to breath, this will help you get used to the residual bit of water you often get in you mouth as you turn your head.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Rebound effect..thats what I meant, but could not remember..duh!