Home Chat General Chat

chatting to other competitors?

I haven't done a tri yet - still in "training".

My background is MTB where on large group rides you often have chance to chat with other folk on a fireroad climb for example. I'm not a competitive sort - will be happy just to finish.

So is it OK to chat (on the bike or run, prob not a good idea on the swim ;-))? or is it frowned upon?

Comments

• I doubt you'll get a chance. You can't draft on the bike, so that pretty much rules out any chatting on that leg as you'd have to yell at each other from 7m away... By the time you reach the run you'll probably all be too knackered to want a conversation. That said, although talking during the race is probably a non-runner (I've certainly never had a conversation), people tend to be very friendly and happy to chat in the Transition area before and after the race begins.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    That was pretty much what I was going to say! Im sure you will get a pretty decent conversation with the guy toweling down in T1 and when he's putting his socks on and tying his laces in T2! But not on the course, even us non-competitive athletes cant talk on the course! Not because noone wants to, I go jogging with a mate sometimes and love running and chatting, distracts me! But I will be too bloody knackered on the run to take, and as Tiring says no close riding allowed on the bike! unless you like penalties!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I find things are pretty much limited to sharing encouraging comments with other athletes. For example, if you're on the run in and somebody is on the run out looking like they are about to die, then a quick "Keep going!" or "Well done!" doesn't do any harm.

I shared a few funny comments with another rider in last year's London Tri, but only because we must have passed and re-passed each other about a dozen times. My new friend nearly made me fall off towards the end of the race... he was in front having re-passed me about 20 minutes before. I just assumed he'd got away when I suddenly saw him up ahead and thought I'd have a go. As I passed him he gave me a Coleman style "Errrr... it's 5200 and he's BACK!". Try hyperventilating and laughing at the same time....

There's sometimes a bit of chat in T1 & T2 at the slower end of the race, I think, which is good. At the quick end of things, I'd suggest keeping quiet. I'd hate to distract somebody when they have their race face on.

Don't let this discourage you from talking to anyone and everyone before and after your race. Triathletes are a friendly bunch, and we all have advice to offer[:D]

• toadtoad Posts: 104
    Generally I agree that most triathletes are friendly people, however during events the ability of maintaining a conversation is difficult.

I did once have a conversation with a swimmer who persisted in switching from freestyle to breast stroke whilst kicking me in the face ..... I asked him to stop kicking me and he replied learn to swim faster.... I thought fair comment !!!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The longer the event the more chance you get to speak to others as the conversation takes your mind off the pain.If you can chat in a sprint YOU ARE NOT GOING FAST ENOUGH.

Alot of people tend to surround themselves in a little bubble and ignore other competitors and spectators and go off in their little world.You do get to meet some great people and if the do not want to talk then so be it.A nice smile at Ironman Switzerland almost got me a hot date but sadly I had to turn it down.[:(]
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Jon E is right a smile or mock look of despair can communicate a lot to a fellow competitor and you can have a good laugh from just being in the same battle at the same time - for me it was trying desperately to get socks on at T1 - you know when the sock feels like its meant to fit your little toe rather than a foot. The guy beside me was keeling all over the shop trying to get his wetsuit off - nothing said just hysterics.