Home Chat General Chat

'new' issue 220 with DVD

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Hallelujah,

I just received my new issue of 220, the one with the free open water DVD.(ok, all you guys probably read it out completely already, since I'm probably the last one in line to get it by Belgian mail(zzz)).

First of all, receiving the newest issue is always a day to be glad about. When it includes a free DVD, things can't go wrong anymore.

THANK YOU 220!!![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

PS: what do you think of the dvd, is it good or is it great???(cause I was expecting a red, aero, carbonish -like version)[;)]

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    The DVD is OK, but you're right - not red, not made of carbon. It was FREE for goodness sakes, not properly expensive... some forum members will not be able to watch it! [:D]. I noticed it was turning slowly in my DVD player. Expensive red carbon disks spin much faster.

The advice is OK, if you are not so experienced. Like most of these things, there will be one or two things that stick in your mind. I don't like the suggested technique for turning at the bouy - it's fine when you're on your own, but in the melee of a real event I think you would drown. Now, if they had shown you how to use the rolling over technique to roll across the swimmer next to you when he is blocking you in....[:@]

The wetsuit advice was good: I liked his suggestion for the sequence for taking the suit off. I was sometimes getting stuck by trying to do one arm then the other. Kiddle suggests a half arm first. I tried it on Sunday and I was out of my gimp suit in about 10s[:D]

Oh no... I've spoiled the plot for you. [;)]
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    Great DVD with loads of tips and advice myself i always have truoble geting me wetsuit off quickly so after watching the DVD i thought the best thing to do was try out a quick exit from the suit my wife zipped me in and then i was off a quick few steps in the hall and starting to strip great then came the feet so i stood on part of it and tried the quick flick with the foot.Well thats where it all went wrong i ended up flat on my back with my wife crying with laughter and my feet still in the suit, i would of been ok but forgot that we have wooden floors and they are nice and slippy. So practice now is done on the beach.

[:)][:)][:)]
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    The DVD covers what Rick covers in his beginners class which I went on at the beginning of May. Really good course as well. It's great to have this DVD for referral as I'd forgotten most of it as anyone who saw me trying to get out of my wetsuit the other week would attest to.
  • SwimfanSwimfan Posts: 19
    [:'(] Its was a great DVD when i bought it a few months back, so i am assuming that it being free will only make it more so. [:'(][:(]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    No no no no no, it WAS good when it cost, now its not so good because its free, have you learned nothing here? I am knitting a porridge based carbon insert go faster sleeve for it because the cardboard one goes soggy when you take it swimming.
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Comon Britspin surely it will be a RED porridge sleeve - from the gogi berries !?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Oh my, I should have shaved it before use on my pc. Now its all hairy and stuff.

I agree britspin and Bopo, darn shame it was for free[:-]

Though it was pretty aero when i threw it at my dog outside though;[:D][;)] not.
    Organic berries of course, grown in a carbon pot, with go faster stripes (red & black since you didn't ask), with a drop of beetroot juice.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    My copy didnt have a DVD!!! [:(]

anyone got a spare?
    Phone 220, I bet they've got loads, there usually is a contact number for missing cover mounts somewhere.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Personally I think 220 is going downhill - trying to do everything and doing so but badly...

For me they need to do something new or they lose me as a subscriber.

The current issue of the magazine caters exclusivly for absolute beginers and women.

I have also noted factual mistakes/out of date info in many of the recent issues - i.e. IM Switzerland in two laps not 3 (and had been for 6 month before the mag went to print) ..... theres another open water lake in Farnbourough.... I wonder how much of what we read is out of date storys? Or how much is left out.

It would be quite simple for 220 to make themselves more relevent and that is to look on their very own furum at the questions that are asked and write storys on them..... This is the stuf we are interested in and enjoy reading about... And is it too much to ask for quantifiable comparisons of products??

SOrt it out!
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Good man Barny - its probably a separate thread but I agree. Since they changed the lay out I think it's disimproved. It's not just one thing but loads of frustrating small things. I think generally it has got sloppy.
    I agree partialy with barny and pacman; and checking this forum time totime is easy for them, but they probably never do(or def not enough).

On the other hand I find 220 the best magazine that handles about tri. Tried a few other ones, but I stick with 220! You must admit they have a great forum (public)![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I used to buy alot of mtb mags but they all went the same way as 220. Get 12 copies then just reread every year with same info.

I totally agree that writing articles based on discussions on the forum would be excellent. In one of the mtb mags they used to put in featured forum discussions mentioning the contributors- we could all be famous! [8D]
    Oh yes!!!! GIMME GIMMME GIMME!!!![8D][8D][8D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Anyone fancy starting up our own tri magazine? I reckon we could do a better job!
  • Only just started reading 220 and think the advice it gives it great, however, as Transit noted, I stopped getting MBR magazine because the same things were repeated year after year!!

Obviously whats needed here is a shaved carbon RED Knitted Gogi berry magazine,with beetroot porridge pages WITH free handouts that please everybody.... or make great frisbees or coasters... with all our know how, dagnamit, i think we can do this!!!
    Now thats a mag I'd defo buy!!
    watched the dvd last weekend (at last [>:]).

Found it was some good stuff together on one place, but nothing innovational I guess. Actually heard and saw nothing new. Silently hoped to find some tip to shave off a min on my oly swim leg, but elas, nothing like that! [&o] [:D]
    STP2

BORING ALREADY!!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    stp2