Home Chat General Chat

Swim sections on bigger tri's

Was watching the swim section of the vancover tri on the old tv today, but couldnt answer the question as to why the have to get out and run up on the beech, go round the marker then back in to finish the swim??

Why not have a turning point out in the water? As in reality you swim, run, swim bike then run.

Comments

• I did wonder that myself, seems a bit strange really. Also, does the beach run section of the swim count towards the 1500M, or is it only the actual water sections that count?

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I'm not sure but fairly certain it's for TV coverage that they do it. Allows the spectators to see the competitors up closer for more of the swim section, and helps in placing for the commentators.

I'd guess that some races might not have enough space for a just out and back swim section so to compensate do laps with a run break.

Be interested to know from an organiser if it counted towards the distance or not, cos it sure does add to the time[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m5.gif[/image]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    oh dear, that really is a rather poor reason to make the athletes have to come out of the water, and as you say Gaterz it really defeats the point of swim, bike then run. But then I guess there is a little run bit after the swim anyway before the bike, or in the case of Blenheim a hill climb!

But yeh, i guess it is nice for the spectators to be able to see the athletes a bit, but to me that seems a bit silly.

• I really like the idea - as a spectator sport, I don't think Triathlon is up there with Rugby, soccer or the likes, so anything that can be done to make it more interesting or interactive, the better. Then especially if you have a friend or family member partipating, think it be great to get an extra cheer!!

Its a good point on whether the 50M or so counts towards the race distance - really don't know.

didn't Lanzorate IM have the same thing?

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Yes, IM Lanza did it too.

I'd say it does add some nice action for the spectators, but so does the stayer principle in olympic distance. And since the added degree of suspense aids the popularity of the sport and the growing number of public and participants, I believe that can only benefit us triathletes.

Of course they should change the sand into porridge, that would def make it faster [:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    But it all goes pear when they hit the bike leg form pack & no one is willing to attack..I love tri on the telly, but the mens race was DULL!

It looked like our Sunday jaunt was quicker..(I am sure it wasn't but it also wasn't exciting TV.)