Home Chat General Chat

Training versus Hayfever

Along with countless others I am really suffering at the moment with hayfever. Since the middle of last week I've been taking Piriteze to offset the symptoms. Since yesterday morning I've been really lethargic and felt completely demotivated. I managed an hours bike/treadmill but i really felt my heart wasn't in it. Could there be a link?

What do others use? Any suggestions/advice/old wives tales?

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Yesterdays Sunday ride was a chorus of sniffs & sneezes as we sliced thru the countryside, I was personally looking like I had been up all night crying as the tears streamed from my red eyes, but heck (I was going to put 'hey..) it was a great ride.

Aren't most antihistamines also likely to make you drowsy, lethargic etc?

Anecdotal cure..eat local honey.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I find it's the hayfever that knocks it out of me. I don't know about the affects of Piriteze but I'm sure it's non-drowsy. I tend to cycle through a number of different pharmaceuticals. I'm on generic Clarityn (loratedine) at the moment but as it becomes less effective I use Piriteze, beconase or similar, and others who's names escape me at the moment (switch every couple of years normally). Not sure it is effective but seems to have worked so far.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Piriton hits me so hard I could use it as a sleeping tablet. I use loratidine based anti-histamines. I get them as a generic from Sainsbury's because they cost about £5 for a month instead of £5 for a week's worth of branded stuff. The tablets are red, porridge flavoured, and come in a carbon-fibre bottle.

I also use Opticrom eye-drops, and Beconase nose-spray. The important things is that these two things can be used about 4 times per day, so I do that. When your eyes start itching + nose starts running it is already too late... you have to wait for your body to get rid of the irritating histamines. If you take the drops and spray regularly it is more effective.

Also, it seems to take a week or so for the loratidine to really start.

Altogether it isn't perfect, but at least I can breathe (hayfever really gets my asthma going) and I don't wake myself (and Mrs. Bopo) up in the middle of the night with nocturnal sneezing fits.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Tell me about it.flippen nightmare,i use piriton aswell.good stuff but like Bopomofo said you can use it as a sleeping tablet so what i do is have either a really strong double expresso or really hot chillie source to wake me up again.But does work
    About those pills..well the bottle & flavour....surely tho they can't be more effective if they only cost £5 per month, not £5 per week.
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    Thanks for all your replies. Larotadine it is and I feel better already. Energy levels returning by the hour. I can actually feel them rising. No excuses for tomorrow now. Come on!
    Glad to have you back with us, Chris. It saves us all posting 'WAKE UP!' to this thread every ten minutes.[:D]

Good call by britspin. Get the expensive ones.[8D]
    Oh & try not to win anything..just in case of a drug test...
    Blimey! Hadn't thought about drugs testing! I'll be careful not to win, then. Shame really, because I was going to give that 118-118 lookalike bloke a right pasting in London this year.
    Currently drugged to the gills myself (finally gave in when I irritated myself with my sniffing), & extensive market research has lead me to a generic loratadine tab from Boots at 98p for 7, & I asked the Pharmacist at the counter for a generic beconase & got Beclometasone spray for 3.99, no eye drops yet tho..I am on it!
    No danger of me winning anything other than 'bloke most likely to turn into a beetroot' competition at the final 200m stage! Have decided to just drop the loratadine as and when needed as opposed to daily. Turning 'new age' in my old age.[;)]
    Cromulux is a generic sodium cromoglicate eye drop (same active ingredient as opticrom), 89p from Chemist Direct & shop.com...postage adds £2.95, maybe worth getting a summers supply or see whatelse there may be on the site you may need. Still a fair deal tho' £3.84 better than £6-7.
  • dlenehandlenehan Posts: 1
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetirizine

Cetirizine Hydrochloride as found in ASDA's own brand hayfever medication, as well as Galphram and Piriteze does not cross the blood brain barrier, which in short means it's side affects are physical and not related to the brain... i.e. no drowseyness. Have a look at the wikipedia, you can pick up a pack of 14 for less than a quid, or if you go to a pharmacist and ask for cetirizine hydrochloride 10mg tablets, you can normally get about 30 for the same price.

On the pack there are warnings of drowseyness, but seeing as the cetirizine can't get to the brain this would only occur if you had something else wrong with you. I train with it and notice no impact on performance or motivation.
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Have decided to just drop the loratadine as and when needed as opposed to daily.
    Not sure this is the best way to go. Isn't loratidine one of those drugs that take a little time to build up in the body and to start working? Anyone medical out there know?
    I don't reckon. I felt relief (ooo err missus) about 3 hours after my first tablet and with a relatively low pollen count over the last couple of days it seemed worth a try. Not taken any since Wed and this morning woke up feeling strong and ready to go, the first time in around 10 days. Managed a decent run and although a bit sniffly now, it's manageable at least. Like some wise sage once said, if it works for you then just accept the fact - psychological effects it may be but I'm not arguing. I feel much more like my old self and that has to be a good thing. I understand my approach may not work for all but we are all individual with individual responses to training, nutrition and medication. Of course, the whole hayfever/piriteze issue could have just plainly coincided with a natural training plateau/period of fatigue but all I know is the 'facts' and circumstances seem to fit my physiology timeline over the last week. Anyhow, now I feel I'm back on track I'm not too worried what the cause was/is.

I do appreciate all of your vastly intelligent and considered responses.

Cheers

I have never touched piriton since an unfortunate incident involving one or two too many piritons added to one or two too many beers....I actually fell asleep standing up, was thrown out of the pub for being drunk & had to be carried home..result.
    Nicely done, britspin. That little note saying 'Avoid alcohol' was written by somebody really clever who spent about 20 years at college... but hey, it's worth try. What the hell do they know? Surely a few beers can't hurt? [:D] (Had a similar Piriton/beer fall-asleep incident myself, but it involved a lady [8D])

Don't know about the medical explanations for the effect of the actual drug, but maybe Piriton causes other effects in your body that in turn make you drowsy. Bit like soft drinks with sweeteners that say 'Contains a source of Phenylalinine', that don't contain Phenylalinine but do contain something that makes your body produce it from something else.....

Guessing.

Anyway, I've had 3 goes with Piriton, and it knocks me out. Actually makes my limbs ache with tiredness and I'm nodding off at my desk. My doctor told me to take the Loratadine daily as it has a cumulative effect, and the single day effect (i.e. take a tablet occasionally) is a lot lower. However, if it keeps your hayfever under control then I fully agree - only take what you need.

Me.... I need it every day. And the nose spray and eye drops up to 4 times a day. And the bloody steroids every morning to keep the asthma (aggravated by hay fever) under control. And the occasional asthma puffer thing too.

Stupid thing is all this stuff only started in my early 20s (just a few years ago.... ish). I was fine when I was a kid.
    It was the piriton waht dun it guv..I have always been fine with beer...well fineish.