Home Chat General Chat

the NSPCC big 5 tri

Calling all try-athletes !!!!!!!! you have been amaxing giving out advice and information as I have crawled my way throuhg some 3 months of pre-season training but I though it was time I revealed myself for who I am .....

My background is relatively simple I spent some 7 years in the forces before becoming a psychiatric nurse . I have always maintained active & in good physical health. Unfortuantely I suffered with reactive depression last year which led to some 3 1/2 months absence from work. In an attempt to over come this along with suport from my GP & work I undertook to train for a triathlon as a means of direction and acheivement.

[/align]

[/align]Thereby I began training in January of this year, I found it challenging but began to make some progress more so after joining my local club (Warrington Tri) which gave a better sense of formation and also of ability to undertake a sprint tri. This over time increased to a point whereby I am now entered for the following triathlons

[/align]

[/align]Cheshire Sprint Tri (04/06/06)

[/align]Chester Olympic Tri (25/06/06)

[/align]Salford Sprint Tri (30/07/06)

[/align]London Olympic Tri (06/08/06)

[/align]Warrington Sprint Tri (26/08/06)

[/align]

[/align]The training especially the swim (as had negelected my front crawl for some 25 years) required I apply myself with consistency increasing my level and frequency of training and practise from only a few hours to that of around 15 - 20 hours a week. From this I now aim to undertake training towards 1/2 ironman next season

[/align]

[/align]As a direct result of the training including the support of Warrington Tri Club & the 220 forum amongst others I have regained my sense of acheivement and motivation as well not just massively enhanced physical fitness but also that off mental & emotional well being to enable to return to work.

[/align]

One thing I have learnt about life, even more so as a result of my depression, is that in life there needs to be a sense of balance. If you take out you need to put back in as it were. So remembering all the help and support I was given I have decided to put back in and help those a little less fortunate than myself . My work envolves working with people who have had tragic upbringings suffering at the hands of carers , parents and others casuing such effect that they matured with such social deficits they now are deemed a risk to themselves and /or society. Many will remain in secure care provison for most of their adult life. [/align] [/align]The NSPCC does some amazing work with children _ I figured if I could help them with fundraising maybe I could make a difference to someones future, perhaps give them a chance of a better future that needen't invlove long term social & psychiatric care [/align]

[/align]I hope to raise £1000 for the NSPCC through my efforts - help me to help the kids that really need a hand. All I ask is a £1.00 per triathlon (more if you can) ;

[/align]

[/align]you can give thru [link] http://www.justgiving.com/philNSPCC [/link]

[/align]

[/align]I couldnt have made it this far without the banter and stuff from you lot - I can only hope you can help me a little more a give what you can.

many thanks

[/align]

[/align]madnurse (phil) [:D]

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    To Pacrfish & AB

A BIG thank you for you sponsorship towards my NSPCC fund - the money collected will all go towards children who are suffering with or at risk of abuse & neglect in many walks of life. I will let you know how it goes & eventually how mich we all raised for them.

thanks

Phil (madnurse) [:D]
    Hi Jerome !!!!!!!!

I cant say thank you enough for your donation - it all helps. I dont know what waffle I said on here that helped you but am glad it.

phil (madnurse) [:)]
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    Given the Madnurse has revealed his true self thought it might be a good idea for others to give some ideas why we are nutty enough to do this, so to get the ball rolling..........

I have suffered with depression since 16 and recently additional work related stress. Exercise has always helped so thought I'd try something new to motivate me. Plus next year is the big 40 (Gulp[&:]) and my eldest daughter is now 18 (bigger Gulp!!) Feeling the whole age thing catching up with me and want to prove I've still got it!

Oh and on the vanity side want to get rid of those wobbly bits that have suddenly appeared![:D][:D]
    Hello ET - your donation is also much appreciated - all goes into the melting ever closer to the target of £1000

cheers

phil (madnurse) [:D]
    RAdioStar !!!! thanks for the donation towards my £1000 target (it all adds up) - yeh will be there for Nantwich - hopefully see you about there

madnurse (phil)
    just to add to your suspicions that I may have a loose slate or two, I am extending my tour of pain from 5 traithloons to now include Helvellyn Triathlon (hopefully with Loonytoon) as well as Snowdonia marathon

all this in an attempt to raise a few pennies for the NSPCC - check the link below to find out out more & how you can donate to help reach my target

thanks

Madnurse (phil)
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    When is the Snowdonia marathon?
    Thanks mad I own a house up there so will definately be doing it if I'm not in work.(I know its the old excuse).
    am hoping i can blag the Loon into coming along ... he seems as devoid of sense as me .. let me know if you do be good to say hello & maybe grab beer after. Have promised the wife this the last race for this year before going on holiday

madnurse (phil)
    My wife is coming round to the idea of going to club la santa for a week so I'm really getting my hopes up about that. I think it will be good for the kids as theres loads for them to do.
    i might slip somethin like that in to mine (obviously playing down any reference to tri training) but she is adapting to the idea of becoming a triathlon widow (her words)

phil
    big thanks to Graham -Tri for his donation towards my bucket of pennies for the NSPCC .....

any future doonations from 220 members or guest gratefully recieved

thanks

madnurse (phil)

hi craig - just 2 say thanks for your pledge to donate £10.00 towards the appeal !!!!!!

[:D] madnurse (phil)
    more donations - this time from Dave Moly at warrington Tri - thanks mate !!!!!!!!!!!

phil
    thanks for your donation wendy !!!!!!

madnurse [:D][:D][:D]
    many thanks to fergus at warrington tri club for his kind donations towards my NSPCC fund

cheers

Phil
    thanks to Lisa for her donation .. slowly but surely the fund creeps closer to the £1000 target

cheers !!!!!!!!

Phil (madnurse) [:)][:)][:)]
    Hi Sam (Wella) ...... cheers for your kind contribution - the enormity of my challenge as you put it (ie the triathlons etc) aint that much but the difference it will make to childrens lives will be

thanks again mate

Phil (madnurse)
    thanks to Rob Hough for his donation this morinng

cheers mate

madnurse phil [:D][:D]
    thank you so much bobajob for your donation !!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

madnurse (phil)
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    mad - all the best for Sunday - what time do you start?

If you get thro Helvellyn I'll sponsor you again - and if I get thro the Robin Hood marathon in Sept I'll also put another donation on your site!!

Keep going !!

my start time is 08:30 so hoping am finished before midday heatwave

thanks gain for the helvellyn 'bribe' .. grateful for any motivation i recieve

phil
    JOBid - what can i say - generous donation indeed - thank you so much !!!!!!!!!

Madnurse Phil [:D]
    note of thanks to Jon (WTC) for his donation ... with the extra tax releif it gets I am now 1/4 of the way to my target fund of £1000 ....

phil
    OK So maybe tri is getting a little addictive or I may be loosing the last few of my marbles ... but anything to help the cause ...

SO I HAVE ADDED ANOTHER RACE TO MY NSPCC TRIATHLON FUNDRAISING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST A LITTLE ONE TO WIND DOWN BEFORE SNOWDONIA ... in fact isnt really a full race more of half a race (EASTNOR CASTLE middle distance...come along & see me wimper n cringe )... so for those of you who meant to donate before or forgot or something here's a really good reason to stick a few quid into my justgiving account to help the nsppc before Xmas that when i hope to hand over a cheque for a £1000

my madness + your help = big cheque ... everyones a winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however you can help out it will be appreciated

pHIL

its all about the kids !!!!!!!!!!!
  • thanks Parcfish ( PAt me awd mad mucca)

thanks for your help with this crazy thing i do ... you helped me through helvellyn esp T3 ... you a darling ... thanks (again) for your donation - hope this spurs others on to donate also....

madnurse (phil)
  • the Loon comes good !!!!!!!!!!!

cheers Loon for your donation to the slush fund that slowly but steadily gets ever bigger

madnurse Phil

ps see you in a really big race - coming soon [sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • No worries mad...

Sunday is a big race [8D]

whoo whoo !!!!!!!!!!! thanks to Parcfish for sticking to her word and coming good again to donate more of her kids pocket money to the cause.

Also cheers to Rich-C who I missed at Snowdon - hope to catch you at an IM next year

finally a big thankyou to all you who have donated to my NSPCC fund over the last 6 months - seeing it slowly add up was impressive and really help to keep me motivated to keep going on many a big hill.

the justgiving page is open til the end of December so if you have been busy until now to donate it aint too late......

it was never about me just the kids !!!