Home Chat General Chat

Road race or tri bike?

IanfIanf Posts: 23
Looking to purchase my first bike for triathlon and as a complete newbie don't know which to pick. I currently have a MTB, but there seem to be a lot more road based bike stages and so I'm looking for one of these now (asap).

Firstly, is there much difference between road racing bikes and triathlon ones? Which would you recommend to start with; I'm able to spend £750 - £1000 on the bike? Secondly, has any one had any dealings with SBR sports in Windsor or Dauphine cycles in Boxhill: which would you recommend for a fitting/purchase? And finally, why did I take up this sport, everything aches but I still love it!? That can't be normal!

BRgds,

Ian

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    What distance are you doing?

...and who wants to be normal? silly idea!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    SBR in Windsor is a decent place... helpful staff and decent stock.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    In addition to the question (Forgive me for jumping on your cart Ian), if one does oly tri's and HIM and IM races, what bike should you get if you can only buy one bike?

Is it a good idea to buy a TT-bike, with road bike drop bars with clip-ons for olympic dist. Then put bigger aerobars on for longer distances.

Is this a crappy idea , or does it make sense in some way???
  • IanfIanf Posts: 23
    Olympic distance and possibly half IM. Just been looking at chris boardman's bikes, the TEAM one in particular; anyone tried them? The only problem is they can only be bought through Halfords, so try before you buy seems a non starter!

I'll pop along to SBR Sports, but concerned their bikes look out of my price range. Is it better to buy a good new bike or a better second hand one?
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58
    Ianf

If you're buying one bike I suggest you get a road bike and whack some tri bars on for racing. My thought is that you wouldn't want to be in a TT position for every training ride (or commute) but a road bike is comfy in all situations.

There are some good road bikes out there for your price range so, as long as the shop helps you out with fitting, you should end up with a nice ride - which will feel way faster than the MTB. If you get more into it then maybe look at getting a TT bike as well (if you think will make a big difference to your times).

Happy riding.
  • IanfIanf Posts: 23
    Thanks Danny (if that's your name)

Sounds like good advice.