Home Chat General Chat

HR Zone

Whats the best way to calculate your HR Zones? There seems to two methods; calculating them by determining the percentages of your max HR, or another method that seemed to be doing the rounds a while back which was to determine your max and min HR, work out your 'working HR' by subtracting your min from the max, working out the percentages of your working HR and then adding your min HR to that figure. There used to be a lot of stuff on the second method but most HR monitors seem to use the first method if only for ease.

Comments

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have a nifty wee excel sheet if you want me to email it to you. Works out all your levels for you.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    email it to me if you would....

samuel.fuller@hotmail.co.uk
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Done - It is flying its way to you now.
  • Slats.. think the method you're on about is called the Karvonen method which is

(MaxHR - Resting HR) x Exercise Intensity + Resting HR

and if used properly can be an excellent guide, but a few pointers..

it is useless if you use 220 - age as MHR, the only way to find a true MHR is to max yerself out (and this is not without its probs)

if you test yourself running for MHR, don't forget to minus 10 - 12 beats for the bike (it's hard to use HR for swimming)

make sure your RHR is your RHR, don't rush it... take it a few times per day when you are relaxed and over a few days

Get used to using a Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) in conjunction with heart rate training, because there WILL be times when your HR just doesn't make sense but your perception is usually bang on ( again this is not without its probs)

Hope this helps and don't want to give the wrong impression of HR training but as with everything it'sonly worth doing if done properly!!!

Cheers

Pip