Home Chat General Chat

Skins Compression Clothing

Hi

I was just looking at the skins compression clothing on PowerTri.com and noticed that

there are 2 types of tights:

http://www.powertri.com/index.asp?PageActi...&ProdID=370

http://www.powertri.com/index.asp?PageActi...&ProdID=384

I would mainly be wearing the skins during the day after training to aid recover.I was

wondering the pro and cons of the 2 styles and what one would be better

suited to my needs.

Andy

Comments

• i was only thinking about wearing them for

recovery so still think it would be better to

get the atcive ones?

Andy

• I was wondering the real difference between the recovery ones and

the sports ones apart from the recovery ones have the things over the foot/heal

Andy

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    none, not that I can find anyhow mate.

I tried both on yesterday and I cant feel any difference.

However, I have been told that you should get a size lower for recovery than you would for sport, to provide extra compression, whereas this extra compression may compromise sporting performance.

• So the thing to really way up is if i want the extra compression for

the recovery but not being able to wear for anything esle or go with

the sport one but reduce compression abit?

Andy

• BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    I know SKINS have put a lot into advertising lately and they seem to be the big name in compressions but I have been using CANTERBURY compression cloting for the past 12 months and it's awesome. They also have a new IONX range which "alledgedly" gives energy back to you when you train. They also work out a bit cheaper than SKINS.

Check this link out for info....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6W9D_T9MzY

And before anyone ask's NO I DONT WORK FOR CANTERBURY!!! hahaha

Hope this helps

BEEF

I dont know what you guys think of this but I went into my local tri shop the other day, the guy in there is very knowledgeable and not just a sales person type. He said that skins had only a short half life of 60-100 wears before they loose their functional compression.

He recommended 2XU as their compression lasted much longer, and apprently thats what the top british tri coach recommends. I know you use them froggy and a few others, what do you reckon?

I tried some on and they felt alot heavier than skins, more compression but I dont think I can wear them for training or racing, only as recovery, I like to be minimalist see, thats why I love my one piece! Even if it is a tad graphic.
  • I find it hard to berlive that they can "run out of compression"

Andy

so do I mate, but I did some searching on the internet and a few similar comments about the skins comes up. Presumeably its due to the fibres becoming stretched over time, so at a point they just turn into a pair of lycra shorts as they are not as tight as they were.

As I say this is all stuff I have been told, I have not had my skins for long.

Problem is whichever company you look at in regards to compression they all say theirs is best. I have been told though that the 2XU stuff is the only one supported by the GMC, how true this is I dont know.
  • Three final questions.......

[ul][*]I could i wear the recovery tights for anything but recovery e.g. running?[/ul][ul][*]For genral use do both style offer a simlur level of compresson or is there a major difference?[/ul][ul][*]why do the recovery ones have foot covers?[/ul]Andy

• BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    I think the idea behind the compression leggings is to minimise the amount of lactic acid etc that muscles hold. Wearing them post training helps flush it out of the muscle and during training keeps lactic flowing rather than sitting in the muscles.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I believe that when 220 reviewed 2XU their compression ran in the opposite direction to that advertised ie meant to br from ankle to knee, but ran from knee to ankle thus rendering them largely useless, as this is with the aid of gravity how blood/waste products go & what compression is meant to reverse by compressing against the blood flow. However I have 2XU, Linebreak & Canterbury & I am damned if I could say anyone is better than the other. Very unscientifically because this could be down to sizing Linebreak seems tighter & more compressive, 2XU next & then canterbury, but I have had Canterbury the longest, about 14 months, Linebreak about 6ish 2XU since the start of June.
  • Can some one try and answer my question
    don't you think we have tried to answer? If we knew the answer we would have said it. How about you try speaking to skins to find their opinion.
  • Ok i will give them an email

Andy

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I thought the first reply did a good job, the rest of us chimed in with our thoughts & experiences.