Home Chat General Chat

Bike insurance

having read the crashed and burned thread am now wondering if anyone knows of good bike insurance which covers races. Was prepared to get insurance against theft anyway but now thinking if I ever have a crash the road-rash would really piss me off but losing my faithful steed would emotionally and financially destroy me.

Comments

• bigAL99bigAL99 Posts: 13
    I use E and L insurance they do competition cover as well. I haven't had to claim as yet I have cover up to £1500 pounds and pay £20 amonth
  • lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    I am insured through cycleguard.co.uk. Covers me for £3000 of bike, races, and public liability if i have a crash out training. Works out about £34 a month. not cheap but i cant afford to replace the bike if anything happens so has to be done.
  • I'm with cycleguard.

£1900 worth of bikes (two of them) insured for theft, damage etc includes events (triathlon specific) and 1million pound public liability when ooops if a run a red light and mow down a pedestrian.

I pay £15 a month and can get 30 days European cover for an extra couple of quid if I make the plunge into foreign events.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    E&L thru BT for race bikes & racing, thru British Cycling for my commute bike..can't remember how much I pay..BC one is their gold package, annual subscription payment.
  • BUGGER... wish I'd thought of insuring my steed before Wimbleball... guess what I'm going to do as soon as I've finished typing here though!!!!
  • lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    Wish I had known about E & L!! Glad I am insured but always nice to pay as little as poss. Gonna read the small print - bet I am stuck with cycleguard now. [>:]
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    After reading this post I phoned E&I and they gave me a quote for £10.50 a month to cover a £799 bike + £300 cycle computer, plus competitive cover!

They are also going to write into the policy that the bike is covered if stolen from my bike rack on top of my car, obviously only if locked.

So very happy with that...
  • Based in Ireland so appreciate there may be a few differences.

I arranged for new home insurance and added two bikes to it one worth 3000E and the other 700E. They are insured for Ireland and for Europe.

Cost 110 Euro per year.

This is with a reputable company, front name is '123'.

Not sure if there is any gotcha's but seems good and very happy.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    We tried the home insurance route, but they were not happy with £1000+ bikes & once the word 'race' was mentioned all bets were off, the price rocketed for not great protection, so thru British Tri we took E&I.
  • At the moment my trusty steed is only a £500 machine so think I may wait out til the next upgade but E&I seems the way forwards.

Thanks for all the help