Home Chat General Chat

Total Immersion Weekends - Anyone been?

Just wondering if anyone had been to any total immersion weekends - half thinking about it but the price is hefty - bout £350 for the weekend

So I'd need to be guaranteed results and going home with a more economic stroke leading to better times and less effort which it kinda promises.

Any thoughts anyone?

GD

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i've not been to the lessons, but i bought the book and the dvd. if you are a semi-decent swimmer, just buy the dvd, everything you'll need is covered in it. i wasted my time reading the book! BUT, if you really struggle with the swim, think it would be money well spent going to the weekend training, you'll learn proper stroke technique and body position. it wont make you super fast, but it will save you lots of energy so you can bike and run faster![:)]
  • garydee77garydee77 Posts: 63
    Cheers Jon_g - yeh im still in my infant stages of swimming and still 50/50 whether or not to do it - I've already invested alot of £££ into my gear - will think about it this weekend and make a decision i think!

Thanks!

G
  • zig a zagazig a zaga Posts: 22
    Hi.

I dont know anything about these weekends, are they in open water ?

And do you plan to do open water events.
    no they would be swimming pool based

and yip I plan to do both open water events and pool based sprint tris in the near future zig
  • MattRobinsMattRobins Posts: 15
    Never did the full weekend because I thought it was too expensive. Instead I bought the book and DVD and did about 5 weeks of nothing but TI drills. Got some very strange looks in my local pool but I have to say it really sorted out my balance which I had been struggling with for years, like a lot of 'sinkers.' Once the balance is right and you can forget about the sinking feeling, so many other aspects of your stroke fall into place, so it worked for me.
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    I bought the book and DVD in October and followed the program diligently. My stroke rate went from 30 per length to 17 and my 300m time from 7:30 to 6:00. I am also a lot less tired at the end of a longish swim now. Progress has slowed recently. I am not sure if this is because I have been swimming less or because I have plateaued and need to up my intensity when training.

Although the book provided lots of good technical information and is very drill orientated I think that for me the biggest advantage was in changing my mental approach. These days I am far more relaxed in the water. I don't worry too much about times but try to concentrate on swimming well rather than fast. The end result is that swimming well causes me to swim faster.

I considered doing the weekend but couldn't justify the cost without trying the cheaper book/DVD option first. Now I am not sure that I would want to pay that sort of money for what I suspect would be a limited gain. I could probably spend the same money on bike related training and equipment and get a better time benefit.
    thanks guys! ive the dvd ordered so will go with that i think :)
  • zig a zagazig a zaga Posts: 22
    Any coached training is sure to help. I have trained alone, for the last 4 years, and have struggled in open water swims. After a poor time in the recent Wetherby oly, I started open water sessions, with the Leeds / Bradford club, and I knocked 4 minutes off of a 1200 metre swim last week.

There is no susbstitute for doing as much open water swim as possible.
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    I'm not saying 'forget swim training it doesnt matter', all I'm saying is for me - we put too mich emphasis on the one part of a triathlon we should be least worried about.

For some of us it does not matter how good we are on the bike or the run. Our first priority is to get to T1 without drowning. That's why we spend our time and effort in the pool.[;)]