Home Chat General Chat

TV Coverage?

Hi,

With Vancouver BG Triathlon World Championship and Blenheim this weekend it's a great weekend for triathlon. Is any of it on TV? The Vancouver website says the BBC and Channel 5 are covering the event, but I can't find it in any TV schedule.

I was really hoping to set my set top box before heading off to compete in at Blenheim.

Does anyone know of any TV listings?

Cheers...

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Channel 5 have a Triathlon on at 1am friday morning.If the BBC are going to show any Triathlon it will probably be after that football competition finishes,dunno why they are bothering to show it though.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    What??? Not show the footie?? Are you mad?? After all the successes that our'national' sport has enjoyed over the last.....oh hold on a minute, sorry wrong forum.

I aws wondering myself, but at least with it on there is less temptation to stop & watch some box 'Anything on tonight?' is now a superflous question, add in the inevitable series endings & the US writers strike cutting series short..great. lets get out there in the sum (a man can hope) & train, relax, train some more, a summer of sport--participation.
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    the more footy the beeb show the better, the roads are quieter then :D.

best time to ride the bike is when a major match is on, the roads are dead.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    The coverage of triathlon in this country is quite simply pathetic, i only have terrestrial tv does anyone know of any channels available on sky/cable that show it? But seriously it is unbelievable, I have heard triathlon is becoming one of the fastest growing sports, but the coverage does not reflect this. No wonder elite athletes have such a hard time going pro, there is just no money in the sport unless you are at the top.

Even some of the top athletes have other careers, i remember one guy being a lawyer aswell? Anyone know who that is? I think hes one of the canadians?!?!?

I like to go out when england matches are on, despite the fact that I play football and watch it avidly england always let me down!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    If the BBC do cover any Tri it'll probably be at some useless time like 4am, when most of us have already started our morning bike rides [:D]

Seriously: if it's on the beeb at pointless o'clock you can probably catch up with it on BBC iPlayer.

I managed to see loads of the cycling from Manchester, a lot of the swimming, and I caught the cross-country champs too using iPlayer.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Isn't Channel 4 covering Windsor tec? I'm sure I read that somewhere but can't find it now
  • Hey,

you can catch the coverage of Vancouver on Tricast live, check out the schedule on http://www.triathlon.org/?call=TVRnNQ==&keep=sh
    aces for that, thanks.

It really does piss me off that what I consider the greatest sport you can do is given such poor coverage! But I guess thats triathletes all over, understated supremacy!
  • Blenheim will be on C4 in a few weeks, saw their presenter bloke recording it. Does seem a shame they don't show the UK races live though.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    There is some Ironman coverage on Wed 25th June, channel five at 2:30AM. If you have SkyPlus like me [:D] if you dont [:@]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    infact there are a few other triathlon stuff on tv... tomorrow morn at 07.55 and then a week after. also more triathlon on 29th at 8.30pm. check onthebox.com for more.....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I sent an email to the BBC news team asking why (because our multi-millionaire football players have failed to spark) we are being extolled repestedly by the Beeb to support other countries the fact that a British individuals and the team in general had achieved so much merited not so much as a passing mention, not even on their website- I of course was greeted with indifferent silence.

It's not just triathlon - as a nation we achieve so much in other sports and not a peep on the Beeb and other networks. I am sure those involved in say gliding, parachuting, squash, surfing etc are equally furious at the lack of recognition of their sports achievements.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    We should follow Cycling Weekly's example from a couple a years ago when they successfully got Nicole Cook nominated for BBC Sports Personality (sic) of the year by encouraging their readers to send in her nomination.So this year when they want you to send in your nomination,vote for Helen Tucker.In the last couple of years there has been a marked increase in cycling on TV be it road or track,whether Cooks' nomination played any influence on the increase of programmes only the DG could say.