Home Chat General Chat

Advice

So I have been interested in Tri now for a good few months, dont have all the kit but Im working on that... Im looking to get going on the circuit for next year and have a few questions to all the more experienced guys/gals on here.

1st... im looking to enter about 4 or 5 for next year... just wondering what you all do about getting there and setting up? do you always book a hotel?

2nd... how early in advance do yo have to book a place on the tri?

3rd... Is there a decent website that lists the uk triathlons?

4th... do you enter the events at there own specific websites?

Im looking to enter a couple of sprints (reading and blenheim) then onto olympic distances (london tri) .....

any advice is appreciated

Comments

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Not done my first tri yet (Bath aon 27 July) so I can't help with most of your points, just the third point relating to where to find races, which is here....http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/index.php

enjoy
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    1... I don't usually go in for any events which I can't get to on the day... there are so many around that there's no real need to travel unless it's a really big event like UK IM or London. For London, book a hotel or blag a room from a friend, just in case. You'll find out your start time just a few weeks before the event, and you might have an early start or even have to lock your bike into transition the day before.

Usually, just travel on the day. Instead of going out for your usual 4am ride have a lie-in and get up at 5:30 for your event [:D]

2... Varies, from a looong time for the big events (London is full by about March) to the week before for the smaller stuff.

3... Linds beat me to it. See also the back pages of 220 [8D]

4... Usually on the web site, but there can sometimes be extra costs for booking on-line so it is just as likely that you can print off the entry form and send a cheque.

Tell us what area of the country you are in and somebody will bw able to advise on a local race series. For example, I'm in Southampton and I go to a few of the Concept Sport Fast Twitch Series that are based around Hampshire and Dorset.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    for events listings, have a look at http://www.pacesetterevents.com/view-events.php, also http://www.pgix.net/bigcow/calendar.asp and on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk as a few running clubs put on triathlons (harwich running club put on a sprint event saturday just gone and an oly on sunday).
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Thanks, excellent advice from all. Get a good service on this forum!

Im in Central London.... have no car! I guess that makes things difficult. Early starts to train stations for me!
    Thanks all for the advice. Im looking to sign up to a few for next year (might even squash one in before the end of this year if I can get the kit together), I just have one more question, if I sign up now, will the money for the event come out now or when the event approaches i.e. 3-4 weeks before...?

Samuel
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    The money will come out as soon as you enter. Then they're got it and if you cancel you don't get it back, mwwwhaaaaahhaaaaa (evil laugh) [>:]. They need it to fund the event and ensure everyone is committed to doing it. (Most indicate cancellation policy with event entry)
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58
    What kit don't you have sfuller?

If you have a bike and fancy an event this year why not try the Crystal Palace Tri (sprint distance with a pool based swim - so you won't need to buy a wetsuit) on 21 September.

You could either cycle there or get the train with your bike. In fact, the organisers would love you to do this as its attempting to be carbon neutral as an event (so I'm leaving my stretch Hummer at home that day...)
    should have a bike by then, a hand me down.... but none the less a bike!

I looked at the crystal palace tri and am def thinking about it, does it fill up?