Home Chat General Chat

What bikes/s do you own??

Alright folks,

Peolpe always seems to be asking what bikes to buy on here and looking for advice but i was thinking maybe it would be a help if everyone on here created a thread saying what bikes they own, components, colour, model Etc. Maybe also add why you have the bike and what you think of it and what type of riding you mainly do - TT, road racing, tri, sportive etc

The purpose of this?? Well it would be interesting to know what equipment peolpe use and why but also if someone wants to know about a particular bike then they can look down the list and ask the relevant user/owner about the bike they are interested in??

Just an idea - anyway I guess I will start and see if anyone thinks its a worthwhile thread...

User - Lowther76

Bike - Cervelo Team Soloist (Red and silver aluminium frame) with wolf carbon forks and carbon seatpost. Bontrager Race lite bars and stem. Fizik wing flex Arionne Saddle. Zipp 404 wheels with conti GP4000 tires. Token skewers. Ultegra SL groupset. Ironman Carbon stryke tri bars. Look pedals. Cateye V2c computer. Bontrager racelite bottle cage.

I wanted a bike that I could use for tri, road races/ pleasure riding and time trials as well. Like the flippable seatpost so I can use bike for more than 1 discipline without buying 2 bikes. Find the bike very quick and super responsive (Almost 2 responsive sometimes) and seems almost effortless to maintain pace when you get going. The aluminium frame is very comfortable on the whole but can be a bit unforgiving on really crap roads but I couldnt afford 2k for the carbon bike frame. On the whole I love the bike and my average speeds have rocketed since buying it.

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Lowther, you just wanted to start this thread so you could make me jealous about your 'pimp waggon' [:)] I like the look of the Soloist, quite fancy one for the reasons you said, a do it all bike.

I'm currently riding a 2004 Spesh roubaix - Alu frame with carbon seat stays, full ultegra groupset, shimano 105 wheels, not sure which tri bars etc etc, nothing of any note. I got mine cos I needed an upgraded for road riding and it was really cheap in the US. I use it for TT/Tris but it is not the best.

Dont' think this will help anyone much but thought it was a good thread.

Also have a Claud Butler Milano, (1st bike) and Planet X Carbon (g/f bike) v. new, she loves it but not sure what more i can say on that.
  • lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    Haha - nah thats not the reason for the thread though I do like the name 'Pimp Waggon' for my machine!! There are peolpe on here with bikes that far outpimp mine!! Treefrog springs to mind! The genuine reasons are:

1) Its interesting to know what other people are using and why

2) Think it might be a useful and quick way of asking direct questions to other users that have the same gear - i.e if you are having problems with part x they might know why as they have the same stuff.

3) Someone might have the same bike you are thinking of getting - who better to ask than someone who owns one and has put in some serious training on it!

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Well let me be the first to get in with a bike from the dreaded (apparently) Halfords.

I've got a Carrera Vanquish (red and silver) which got through ebay and I love it.

My first bike for 15 years, first ever road bike and I have no idea what components it's got on it, and quite frankly right now I don't care as it's 15 times better than me.

I've also got a fetching wooden trike for my son (16 months old) and an uber cool red, blue and yellow trike for more urban adventures!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Strike two for Halfords! Look, my profile pic is me on my very red Carrera Valour.

I've upgraded the wheels very slightly, just to bottom end Shimanos. Also stuck the inevitable Profile Jammer tri bars on it.

The biggest change I've made is to remove the front forks - about 3kg of Chromoloy - and replaced it with 375g of Planet-X carbon. Makes the steering quite lively in conjunction with my Panaracer Evo II tires which have quite a triangular profile, but also lots more comfortable, and it seems like they flex less (oddly). Highly recommended.

*EDIT* I should probably point out that I'll be replacing it next month with a Dolan Mythos http://www.bikes-dolan.uk.com/ but it is touch and go whether the new bike will be on the startline at the London Tri.... don't know if I'll be used to it by then, and my old Halfords bus is sooo comfortable and familiar to me.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    My vice, my Achillees heel. I have 12 bikes, all well equipped and shod! The highlights are Record/Hyperon Cervelo R3SL, Record/Corima Aero Cervelo P3C, Principia Rex e SX pro eqipped with custom built components and wheels, Bianchi Pista fixed wheel track bike. I also have a couple of Cannondale MTB's, a Gary Fisher MTB, and a few bikes that I now use as winter bikes, to be honest they are far too good for this but then again I have an embarassment of riches!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    why do you have so many? why not palm a few off....
  • This isnt a 'ive got' post but rather an 'i am considering' - either an Orbea Ordu Carbon frameset (1699), P3C Frameset(2199), Ceepo Venom(1799) (any comments? - is the P3C worth the extra, do you know of any reviews for the Ceepo/Orbea anywhere? -0 both claim to have the fastest/most aero frame available) I would like the willier cento cronto- too expensive at the mo, Felt B12 (as DA seems little different), but cannot find as a frameset as this is going to be a gradual build project.

Im gonna kit it out with SRAM Red (decision made)

But I am also having problems deciding on wheel setup, are the Zipps worth the extra compared to Hed or other carbons such as the Ceepo Botfly. What about Hed trispoke or Quad spoked wheels vs reg zipp 808's ?

I am sure treefrog can let me know as he probably owns all three bikes and most wheel combos

• leigh35leigh35 Posts: 28
    Matty

For what is worth I have ridden 3 you describe( orbea and the P3C ) and I thought the ceepo Venom was the best for me, bikes can be a very individual thing and what suits one won't suit another. That in mind I am having to sell me ceepo Venom ( see sales section) due to an injury and forth coming opp. If you want to see picks let me know I can email through, details on the sales section.

The Ceepo is a very resposive bike but less aggresive geometry than the P3C closer to the orbea. I also think Zipps are the better wheel I have HED's on my trek.

Cheers

Leigh
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Hslfords strikes again! I have a virtuoso that I bought at the start of last winter to use for commuting. Only problem with it is that it is a little on the small side. I'm looking around for a larger frame and will then move everything across.

My competition bike is a Giant OCR1, standard trim apart form the USE Tula aero bars and some continental tyres instead of the michelins. If you want to know why I always enter the 220Triathlon competitions look no further than those bars. Excellent prize and only cost me £50 for the shifters and some new cables.

Off road I have a GT agressor, again standard trim.

Finally back to Halfords for the last one - a 1994 Raleigh Sabre bought at the time as a general commute bike. In 2005 herself did her first triathlon using a similar vintage Halfords Apollo and the only people to overtake her had road bikes. Six months later with no training I took the Sabre on the London to Brighton bike ride. At the end of that I realised I needed something more appropriate if I was going to do triathlons and started to build the collection.

Next bike not sure but Cannondale slice is looking good. Only problem is that I will only allow myself a bike this year if I win any event in my age group or get a top three finish in my age group at the Newbury tri with a time under 62 minutes. Can't see it happening but it's fun trying.
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for the advice. I noticed the Ceepo in the sale section but unfortunately I am 6'4" with long limbs and am on a borrowed Large Planet X which is too cramped for me.

I would have been interested but dont think Medium will be suitable (I also have a friend selling a P3c 56 and have been reliably informed that this would be too small (my current alloy which i cracked is a 62 i think).

Good luck selling it, maybe if I shrink over the next few weeks ill be back in touch (with all the swimming im doing this may be a possibility!)

• Oh yeah,

Leigh,

Good luck with the op and hope the injury sorts itself as best it can.

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I ride a 2007 FOCUS CAYO, its got ultegra groupset, 12-25 cassette, profile carbon stryke aero bars, ulterga pedals, specialized tritip gel saddle. For racing it rolls on Panet X pro carbon 50 wheels on schawlbe ultremo tyres. Well happy with this bike as all in it cost me £1600ish and its fast!!! Love the way it just sits there effortlessly at 26-27mph on the flat.
  • leigh35leigh35 Posts: 28
    Yeh I think it may be a tad too small, I am 5'11" and if fits great, never the less it is a great bike to ride if you decide to go for one, Good Luck.

Leigh
  • for tri i have a felt s25 ( ultra-lite ali tube) with dura-ace gearing , breaks and pedals . fsa gossamer crank , profile aerolite tribars , rev-x wheels for racing and alx 270's for training

off road fun is with a norco atomic
  • paulfitzpaulfitz Posts: 67
    Halfords strikes again.

I have a red (obviously!!) 2006 Carrera Virtuoso training bike, bought off ebay for £200. Changed the very dodgy calipers for some Shimano 105s and the wheels I took off my other bike (Gipiemme something or others)

Race bike, Monoc Compact Quattro Mono Veloce, in white (quite rare it seems, never seen another one on race day!!) Again bought off ebay for £700 at 6 months old (bargain!)

http://www.monoc.co.uk/bikes.htm

Look pedals, can't remember the number, and Campag Scirocco (not made of money!!) wheels

Only other bike is a self built MTB, 'Spank' Alu hardtail frame. Mavic CrossLand wheels, LX groupset, LX hydraulics, Rockshox Reba SL forks. Easton carbon seat post and handlebar. This is like Triggers broom (12 heads and 6 handles!) , because it is a bike that started off as a humble £399 Carrera in 1994 and has 'evolved' to the point that not a single bit of the original bike exists, but in my eyes its still the same bike.
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58
    I have a Time VXS with Ultegra SL groupset and Ksrium SLs which is great for long rides and climbing hills. I bought it with an eye on doing L'Etape or the Marmot (which I still haven't done) but I used this (with some Profile bars) for UK70.3 the other day and it was cool. It also looks great - which does count for something in a bike I reckon. Flat speed isn't great but I think that could be the rider...

I also have a Scott CR1 Team which I bought a few months ago to replace my previous commuter that was stolen - grr. Its a nice bike but not quite like the Time - probably the wheels make the most difference though as the Scott has Aksiums.

As I'm now getting into tri I am currently looking at getting an entry level TT bike (for courses less hilly than Wimbleball - ie all other courses). Think I might go German and get the Cube HPA Race with Force throughout and some OK looking Citec wheels.
    Matty, in my opiion the P3C IS a superior frame. It is more aero, better constructed with better materials and geometrically spot on. I have ridden lots of bikes but the P3C is by far the best I 've ever ridden. I have smashed PB's on it - and all I have changed was the frame from a Principia tri. The P3C is so good that I ordered up the R3SL on the back of it. I cannot praise Cervelo's quality enough.... and initially I was sceptical. Other bikes are good, I've no experience of the Ceepo except it looks like a P3C, and I dare say it has the P3C as its template (or it has ripped off its design - just like the new Giant and the R3!) but it is made from a lower grade composite so it might be heavier and over time it may lose rigidity. The Orbea has a good reputation, one guy in my cycle club has oneand he has no complaints about it. Test ride them and then decide!
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I've got an Karbona carbon frame with 105 groupset and 105 wheels, which I use for comp.

I have an Orbea Larrua (Which was originally my comp bike), but is now used for winter training and turbo training.

I have a Scott for Cyclo Cross

• AdyShawAdyShaw Posts: 19
    ****Halfords strikes again****, i have a 2007 Carrera Virtuoso, in red of course, i use this bike for everything from cycling to the chippy, to commuting and racing. I have put profile cow bars and tri bars on the front end and 105 SPD-SL pedals on. Being my first year in triathlon this bike has done me proud. I wish it had a rear view mirror to see the faces of people i've overtaken on it.

I shall be upgrading to a Focus Cayo at the end of the year just so i'm a bit lighter when tackling the hills, don't think my trusty Carrera would handle next years Ironman distance.
    Don't get this or me wrong but... the better your bike the easier it will be. This does not mean that more expensie = faster... ACTUALLY it does!
  • My bus is a Felt F4C 2006, all the faster because it's red... It's carbon frame and forks, Time RXE pedals, Shimano 550 wheelset, Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra 20-speed shifters and derailleur, Profile T2+ tribars, Profile aero bottle and I'm afraid I can't remember the make of the bike computer (except that it does everything I want, plus a few things I haven't even discovered yet).

I also have a Katarga (Austrian) aluminium MTB, which is now chugging along happily following an argument with a car a couple of weeks ago. It's not as fast. But that's not surprising - it's blue.

The Felt is fantastic - light, responsive, accelerates without effort and very comfortable on longer rides. The tri bars are equally comfortable and allow me to push the pace whilst staying comfy and maintaining a good position. I can't really compare it as the only other reasonable road bike that I've ridden was a more expensive but far too small Look bike that I borrowed off an injured friend for my first Triathlon season. For me, the Felt is far better than the Look, though I'm not sure how much that has to do with the bike and how much to do with the size (he's 5'9, I'm 6'3")

• epacseepacse Posts: 92
    I have...Cannondale Jekyl, pimped to the 9's!

Specilized Rockhopper, again, pimped to the 9's!

Orbea Ashalt, my first attempt at road riding, and seems to be suiting me donw to the ground for the money it cost!

Served me well in my 1st event, and will go on this year to serve me in another 3, plus, a London to Paris sponsored bike ride!

[:D]
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Too ashamed to say!! Think I'll start a new thread " how old and knackered is your bike" but I just wanted to say this is a great thread and when I finally get enough money to change my 10year old + machine I'll be looking here for advice - thanks guys!!
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I have a 06 Specialized Allez Elite, Ultegra triple chainset with 105 everything else...thinking about upgrading the rims but that may get superseeded by a Cannondale Slice 105....[:)]
    This is pure indulgence!!!!! But it is my 400th post and I did not want spammers to spoil it! Anyway the new Cervelo R3 SL with full Record drive train ( front mech., Rear mech., chain, Levers, casette 13-30) and Zero Gravity brakes with Hyperon wheels Rithcy bars & stem and Selle Italia Carbonia saddle is really quite good!

• First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I currently have two bikes one of which is a pioneer tourer so its a little heavier but ideal for winter training.

Second is a Raliegh airlite pro carbon forks and of course in go fater red ,shimano 105 complete set up very lightweight and good all round road bike.

Raliegh are right up there with the big boys at the top of there range as this bike shows but coming in at £1000 are not cheap. I am i bit byust as Raliegh do sponsor me.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    For those that like company for their weekly bike ride,this is for sale in cycling weekly

http://www.magazineclassifieds.co.uk/search/cyclingweekly/details/129399/Thorn_Triplet.php

Oh Goody
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    So that's where the Daltons parked their bike.[:D]
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I ride the Merida Warp 5 that was reviewed in this month's 220 magazine. Beautiful little ride for the money, and will gradually upgrade the components over the years.

I also have a bottom of the range Saracen Morzine that I use for training and long rides. It seems to stand up pretty well though in terms of speed, which surprises me as it should be bloody crap! (Oh and it has red stripes on it, not carbon tho).[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m11.gif[/image]