Home Chat General Chat

220: Get your Beijing prediction in the mag

Hello Forum Folk,

So, simple question (or perhaps not): who's going to win the triathlon at the Beijing Games?

220 will be running an Olympic preview in issue 224 and we want to know who the members of the finest forum on the web think will be coming away from Beijing with gold medals hanging around their necks. Tell us who you'll be putting your money on (figuratively speaking, of course - we don't endorse gambling) in the men's and women's triathlons, and why, and your punditry could be finding its way into the mag.

Will the Aussies and Kiwis be walking away with it? Perhaps Portugal's Vanessa Fernandes and Spain's Javier Gomez will continue to dominate? What about the South Africans, the Americans and the Germans? Can the Brits cope with the humidity and make to the top step of the podium?

Let us know…

Comments

• QwertyQwerty Posts: 3
    Oh, and once you've done that, if you could let us know what this weekend's lottery numbers will be, that'd be quite useful too.

Get gazing into your crystal balls.
  • I honestly think Helen Tucker will do it. She's got the lungs, she's got the legs, she's got everything. Go Helen go
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Have to agree with Big PJ, Helen all the way. She's a superb athlete, hopefully she'll stay injury free...and she's flippin gorgeous as well !!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Emma Snowsill, going well, looking good, a little below the radar. Bit like Ms Tucker really..see now I have introduced my own doubt.

Javier Gomez all the way, altho I do think Tim D will give him a fright.
  • Vanessa Fernandes is a banker. I can't see anyone beating her unless they can get a lead of at least 2 mins before they hit the run. Given that it's a drafting race, that means that an outstanding runner will always win and she is the best in that field by a long, long chalk.

The men's race is harder to call. I think that Gomez will probably choke again and that the winner will come from any one of the chasing pack. Tim Don has as good a chance as any, but is probably the only Brit who is in the frame. One of the Brownlee's and Hollie Avil are the top bets for 2012....

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    If any pack can get a couple of minutes ahead of Vanessa then it's pretty much all to play for. If Tucker is in that group then back her all the way. Hollie has been riding like a demon but think it may have come a bit too soon for her, although she could sneak a medal if she hits that perfect race.

Love to see the Don win the men's but a lot will rest on Gomez and how he copes with the pressure of being the favourite.

I know that I am bloody looking forward to the whole thing.