Home Chat General Chat

Late night training and nutririon

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem trying to fit training in. With work and other commitments I more often than not don't start training until quite late in the evening. The problem is after doing decent sessions 90+ mins at that time of the evening I am concerned about getting on board adequate nutrition. I could eat a horse and am no satisfied with just simple recovery drinks.

I think the problem is worsened because I will often have to train early the next morning, and find I am lethargic as won't have time to eat properly before morning sessions.

Any ideas? Or do I just grin and bear it and treat it as one long brick session with a 6 hour transition / sleep!

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hey g1llymott,

I have the same problem! I often train late at night with a 0500 run the next day.

I'm gonna mention the 'porridge' word! There are many threads talking about this but they bear repeating. Mix in some honey / syrup / dried fruits whatever takes your fancy.

Simple and quick to prepare, easily digestible and a superb source of carbs.

ENJOY !!!
  • g1llymottg1llymott Posts: 5
    Thanks Samutri

Don't have so much the problem in the morning, although can get a bit bloated trying to eat my weetabix or porridge. I guess the query is more that after the late night session what to eat! From what I understand late night carbs is not good, but with the morning run or whatever it might have been more than 12 hours before I've eaten carbs of any sort. Porridge etc before but they won't be digested before I start the run.

Make sense?
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    G1llymot

if your evening session is 90 minutes +, you have a window of opportunity for approximately an hour where any carbohydrate you take on will be wisked away to muscle and stored in the form of glycogen, so in this situation carbs at night are not a bad thing...... overnight liver glycogen stores which are smaller than muscle glycogen stores deplete very quickly and can account for lethargy particularly at the end of a session when liver glycogen tends to be relied on more than muscle glycogen due to depletion of muscle glycogen. making sure you have had your morning porridge like Samutri should help prevent this.

For athletes who are training twice a day, carbohydrate feeding asap after morning sessions again is important to top up muscle glycogen stores for the afternoon session.

If you dont like eating in the morning lowering the training intensity below 60% VO2 max or 60% maximum heart rate will tend to utilise fat stores which are in most cases abundant hence feeding is not as important.

If you are wanting to have a good think about nutrition the text Clinical Sports Nutrition 3rd edition edited by Burke and Deakin has very update information with regard to endurance sports

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    sorry - meant having the porridge at night before you go to bed!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    g1llymott wrote:

Thanks Samutri

From what I understand late night carbs is not good, but with the morning run or whatever it might have been more than 12 hours before I've eaten carbs of any sort. 

Make sense?

From what I understand late night carbs is not good

This notion was invented for fat people who sit around all day moving from office desk to couch! Yes there is some evidence to indicate that carbs late at night may cause an increase in fat deposition due to the high levels of insulin in the blood and the sedentary activity of most people in the evening! We triathletes are far from those people, we need the carbs to recover, yes some of these late night carbs may turn into fat, but we are sure as hell gonna burn those off in the 5 am run!

In the long run it is going to be far more detrimental on your training to not adequately recover. Also these late night carbs will improve your morning performance. The perfect thing to have? as the others have mentioned its porridge, complex carbs + protein, in perfect amounts, it doesnt get any better.

I like you train late in the eve at about 8-9.30, but i find with a good amount of food to recover after, then bed an hour later I am neither bloated for bed or feel like I need more food. And I'm raring to go for the run to the pool in the morning!
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I have the same problem especially as i work 12hr shifts both days and nights.

Fitting in the training can be a pain . what i try and do is cycle to work and then extend my ride home in the evening upto about an hour then after bath a small meal which will then see me thrugh to morning.

Remainder of my training is done on my days off one week 3 off next week 4 off so these day stend to be quite intensive with brick sessions and long distance. With these i will be up earlyfor a cycle /run brick and then in the evening weather permitting its down the beech for ow swim.

One you get used to it it's not too bad but at the end of the day it's all about enjoying yourself.

• ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    12hr shifts both days and nights
    May I be so bold as to ask what you do?