Home Chat General Chat

Under the ropes

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
Hi Jason - found this explanation online - you swim up one lane duck under the ropes and swim back in the adjacent lane. It apparently avoids miscounting of laps by the race marshalls

madnurse (phil) [:)]

Comments

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have a tri in about 1 month, and it stated that the pool format would be 'duck under the ropes system'. What does this mean?
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    yep that is pretty much it...

Just did Stratford was used this four lengths in each of the 3 lanes then under the rope quick push wall/deep water start and off for another 4...was okay but not ideal..

also for me cos I suprised myself with speed I catching folks left right and centre which ment I had to wait for the to make their turn ... all part of the game eh?

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    If you are constantly swimming slightly accross does that mean your swimming further than said lenghts would indicate?
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    yeah and across each lane twice (top and bottom if its 4 in each lane) so you cross the pool near enough twice on top of your measured swim
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Jason,

I did the Edinburgh sprint this weekend and they had a duck under the ropes system... Its dead easy.. some were doing tumble turns and others just a straight turn.

We were in a 50m pool so every second length (shallow end) we turned under the ropes into the next lane. Started in lane 1 - then worked across the pool to lane 8. Works well! Try and find out what side you're turning on and if you can get a quiet bit in your pull have a practice.. you need to watch you go deep enough that you don't touch the ropes but other than that its dead simple

Jaz
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for all the information.

What happens if I touch the ropes, there is no penalty I hope.

Also one other quicky question. Becuase my first triathlon is a sprint, I am more than comphortable doing in trainers rather than cycling shoes. Is this allowed, ir does it ocnsititute cheating becuase I am missing out swapping shoes?

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Jason

No penalty for touching the ropes.

You can wear trainers for the bike - quite a few people did on saturday.

Kev