Home Chat General Chat

Shin splint advice...

Hi all

Anyone got any good advice on dealing with shin splints - I seem to have devleoped them over the past couple of months. I recently changed trainers (after being checked over with gait analysis) resulting in me running in Saucony Hurricanes rather than Gel Nibus 9s.

Last year I had anterior compartment syndrome (corrected surgically) and I am wondering if it has any involvement in my shin pain.... [:(]

I am of to the physioterrorist soon to have him pull my legs about but in the meantime I was wondering if the illustious 220 forum had any advice??

Thanks

Comments

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Hi mate,

I've got a couple of bits of advice. Firstly, prevention being better than cure, have someone look at your running style. After injuring myself constantly, I've found solace in the Chi Running book by Danny Dreyer. It teaches not to use the lower legs for running, and utilise the hamstrings and glutes so there is no pressure on the calves and shins. Helped me get round London Marathon this year.

The best tip I've used if filling a polystyrene cup 3/4 full of water and putting it in the freezer. When you get shin splints next. Take the cup out, rip off a small part of the top to expose the ice and rub it up and down the affecte shin for pain relief.

Hope this helps.

Jon
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Will give the ice a go thx
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    Jonhinios ice cup advice is excellent, after you have iced for 3-4 minutes try frictioning,small oscillating massaging along the bone over the tender areas,( this is quite painful but helpful ) the ice will help numb these areas up.

Compartment syndromes and shin splints, medial tibial stress syndrome are often due to poor biomechanics so a good biomechanical assessment by your physio will be helpful. Also orthotics are worth considering, I have badly pronating feet and fallen arches, was recommended an asics kayano which was helpful however a huge difference was made when I put a Vasyli red density orthotic in, pain almost resolved immediately.

Your physio or a good sports podiatrist usually can get a hold of these for you.... usually cost £25 however often marked up to £45 so try to haggle.