Home Chat General Chat

Protein Supplement's

I know this is probably a question asked a thousand times but please humour me while I make it 1001...

I have been tracking my food intake for a couple of weeks and I seem to be very low on the amount of calories I get from protein, So I am looking to correct this and just wondering what protein supplement's people use?

Thanks

Martyn

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Chicken, fish, etc etc...if you are aware of the shortfall, make it up thru adjusting your diet to get other nutrients & natural foods rather than a manufactured supplement.
  • I'm a chicken & fish bloke as well but also eat plenty of eggs and have at least one scoop of pure whey protein in a drink daily.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    In my opinion you only need protein supplements if you are weight training, and only this!

I dont think anyone who does alot of cycling running etc. needs supplements. The reasons for this are.

Protein supplements are designed to be digested much faster than protein in normal foods, this is partially due to them being composed of mostly whey protein, which is quicker to digest than other types of proteins such as casein. And is also due to a certain level of pre-digestion, with most protein powders also containing enzymes.

This is perfect for weight training where you work you muscles hard for a very short time, causing tears in the muscle fibers, this produces a sudden huge need for protein to help repair the muscles.

Therefore supplements are not really required for endurance work etc. This protein is better coming from a good diet.

If you are looking to get more into your diet these are my recommended foods.

lean meats, fish, nuts, soy

MY 3 FAVS - beans, pulses and peas (especially mushy (marrowfat) peas!)

Also, another thing to think about is if you take in excess protein when you dont really need it, which could happen if you take protein supplements when you dont need them, you will get a large surge of amino acids in the blood. If your body doesnt need them it will either convert them into fat, or they will be deaminated to urea and pissed out!

However, if you are doing weight training, I would highly recommend Dymatize elite whey, as at about £25 for 60ish scoops worth it has the best composition for the money and is alot better than some of the more expensive stuff such as metrx!
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    So what would people recommend as a low cal recovery substance? I do on average 1hr-1hr 45 a day of predominantly cardio work, with the odd scheduled core or rest day thrown in. I feel as though I may be missing something but don't want to necessarily replace all the expended calories as I feel happier 'lighter'. Any help?
  • notmilknotmilk Posts: 35
    Re: the protein q:

As a vegan I choose not to eat chicken and fish!

So I do use a protein supplement - soya protein isolate from Holland & Barratt.

I do a weights session once a week; cardio (swim, bike, run) 3 or 4 times a week.

I stopped using it for a while when a tub ran out - but felt like I needed something extra so started buying it again.

I do eat a lot of avocado, nuts and seeds as well between meals which all helps. I don't really need to lose any weight, but with all this excercise and a vegan diet it's hard!