Home Chat General Chat

£1,500 to spend...

Hi ladies and gents,

I've competed in tri for 2yrs now and recently did my first Olym. distance tri and loved it. I've had a Specialized Allez for 2yrs and am looking to upgrade my bike. I'm not looking to go for a tri-specific option, more a good road bike and was wondering if anyone could recommend anything for my £1.5k budget?

I'm looking to change at end of this season. What time of year do the 'sales' start?

Many thanks in advance.

Gaz

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Without a doubt my vote goes to Focus, with £1500 you will get a bike worth £1800-£2000.

wiggle all the way.
  • sfuller wrote:

Without a doubt my vote goes to Focus, with £1500 you will get a bike worth £1800-£2000.

wiggle all the way.

Thanks mate, I must admit, I have checked out the Cayo Expert and Pro and have been really impressed with what I've seen.
  • mattymatty Posts: 37
    hi lakeland,

I got a Trek Equinox 7 for £1200 and pimped it out with some of that beautiful stuff called CARBON and love it!![:)]
  • Living in the Lake District means lotsa hills, so for comfort I'd probably opt for a road bike, which I could use for both training and racing, whereas a tri-bike would limit me slightly as far as comfort is concerned. Am I right with this theory?

Gaz
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Yeah, your right, getting a dedicated TT bike is not ideal if you've got serious hill work to look forward to! This is mainly down to geometry, a TT or Tri bike is designed for flat out speed, with aggresive set up to put you into an aero dynamic riding position. A road bike is more a jack of all trades, with less radical geometry so you can go flat chat on the drops for the down hill/flats and up on the tops of the bars for when you have to haul your arse up a cliff!! So if your looking for a compramise then get a road bike and put some decent aero bars on it.

I would also have a serious look at the Focus cayo expert. I have the basic cayo, (bit of a pimped up version) and its a superb bike, and a solid frame to add upgrades to in the future. Get your sizing right though as your buying without trying!!
  • Guys, your help and advice has been excellent, many thanks.

Gaz
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    My money would go on a scott cr1
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I'd go for Planet X carbon road bike with Dura Ace build for £999 and get the 50mm deep section wheels. That'll come in at £1500 and is one hell of a spec. (My lass just got one - without the pimped wheels - and it is great!).