Home Chat General Chat

Anybody eat Quinoa?

Seeing as so many of you are really clued up on what to eat etc etc I wondered if anyone eats Quinoa?

Just did my monthly shop of stuff from the organic wholesalers and bought a bag of red Quinoa - now realise that there are no instructions on it - oh joy! I'm guessing you treat it a bit like cous cous but before I produce some culinary disaster I just thought I'd ask if anyone out there ever uses it? If so could I trouble you for some tips - and some recipies?

Who knows this could be the sequal to the porridge thread.

Comments

• Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    I have had to have Quinoa or Cous Cous for the last year or since being told I am allergic to rice and so had to find something that would allow me to still have a curry or Chilli Con Carne etc.

The main thing to remember is to soak/rinse to remove the saponin coating which is bitter, then cook like rice, we call it Q-rice as we always forget how to pronounce it! It is interesting the first time you have it, but it is not too bad, but I think I prefer cous cous so only have 'q-rice' once a month or so.

The link below has a recipe, you just have to ignore the flash introduction about small business

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com.au/SecondaryNavigation/Default.aspx?SecondaryNavigationId=30

Do a quick 'google' and you will find loads of recipes.

FW

• Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    I also forgot to mention that whereas rice doubles in volume, Quinoa triples! This means after my miscalculation when cooking a curry at the weekend I shall be having quinoa for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days!

FW
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I love quinoa, but i prefer to have it cold in salads.

If you ever want recipes for anything, i use recipezaar.com, i find it great!
  • smudgersmudger Posts: 48
    [:D]thought quinoa was the name of a bike.
  • notmilknotmilk Posts: 35
    Apparently it is pronounced "keen-wa".

And no it's horrible bitty stuff - prefer brown rice or cous cous any day.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    my wife got me into this after watching that white witch gilly makieth(or whatever her name is) yuk yuk yuk cous cous i can do but this is surely something the devil designed as a joke on us mere mortals.

oh by the way i didn't like it very much, it fills you up though.

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    thanks for the replies folks! Will be cooking it tonight so here's hoping that I don't end up with enough for a small army! and that I actually like it.

Found a recipie called "Kim's Quinoa Salad" got to try that one

LB (aka Kim)
    good luck with it, it's fish ans veg from the allotment for me, how do the supermarkets get their carrotts straight. mine are twisted and knarled. sorry i digress.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    chemical warfare! just remember how much better yours are - and they have character!!
    have you ever heard of/ tried purple carrots???? we grew some this year, very nice but strange to look at.

can't wait for the sprouts to be ready.