Home Chat General Chat
Options

Drafting

LindsLinds Posts: 124
I believe the drafting 'box' is about 2 metres wide, 5 metres long, am I right in thinking this? Hence why most races say you need to stay at least 6-7 metres back until your going to overtake.

So I think yes, if you are only 1-2 metres behind you should see a benefit!

Comments

• Options
    LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Excuse my ignorance but how close do you need to be to get any benfit/assistance when drafting.

The reason I ask is that I am planning to cycle home from work (35 miles) one evening with some collegues who don't cycle much and I would guess we will need all the help we can get, including drafting off each other (I guess I am going to be at the head of the line more often than not).

Now I have only been cycling for 3 months and they don't ride much, so we're not talking abou being 2 inches apart, more like 1 to 2 metres I would guess. Is this going to give any noticable benefit?

Thanks
  • Options
    WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    As close as you all feel comfortable and safe with is always a good starting block. It'll also completed depend on which way the wind is blowing as to what the benefit will be. To effectively draft properly, the riders will need to position themselves according to the wind direction.

You'll always get some benefit just from being tucked up behind someone and suppose if you are all just heading out for the first time, this will be most valuable tool. You're all be speeding along in no time! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • Options
    For it to work well, you need to be as close as possible. Watch the Tour de France over the next few weeks to see how close they get. That explains the big crashes then.

The new ITU regulations state a 3m wide by 7m long box with the front edge of the front tyre marking the centre of leading edge of this box. Effectively you'll need to keep more than 2m back from the rider infront to avoid problems in a non-drafting race but you are allowed 15 seconds to pass through this box.

I wonder if they'd notice if you kept passing from side to side constantly[;)]