Home Chat General Chat

Ridley EOS 08

Just a quick question..

I am looking to get my first road/race bike and have been offered a good deal on a Ridley EOS 08, I have never heard of this brand before and was wondering if anybody has one or any views on them?

Thank you

Martyn

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Sorry, it's not a marque I've heard of but then I am not a cyclist and got my first road bike after talking with my LBS. They in fact recommended a cheaper bike, the Giant SCR3 (about £350), than the one that I bought Giant SCR2 £540 (but you can get the 07 model for £399) and some ways should have taken that advice as I could have saved about £170 at the time, but that is another story - have a look at my post about 'The Old Story - Which bike etc.'

As no one has responded so far thought I would set the ball rolling.

Did a search and saw it was priced about the £750 mark.

Thoughts:

1. buy a cheap, £300 - £500, but serviceable bike to gain experience on, then with the inevitable upgrade in the future you can keep this as a winter/training bike. So as before Giant SCR3, Giant SCR2, Specialized Allez, Bianchi, Trek 1.2 and 1.5 - Usually have Tiagra, Sora, Campo components, all are present at most events and they do the business.

2. Splash out, £750 - £1,000 now you are talking about Trek 1.7, Felt etc Shimano 105, Focus Cayo (carbon & Ultegra components) - quandry if you want to upgrade you have spent a lot of cash and need deep pockets to get that extra ounce of performance.

I would suggest what many here would and that is touch base with your local tri/cycling club, there will usually be someone who is upgrading and has a bike to sell.

Ask your local LBS - c'mon chaps and chapesses, those of you who live in Hampshire help this poor chap out

Alternatively go boggle eyed on the interweb and search for bargains, note the components and ask yourself why is that bike with the same components £200 more expensive than the other?

Personally I would go cheap and cheerful, get experience, you will realise after a while you NEED a better bike that is red, carbon, has a porridge holder, a wax strip dispenser oh and did I say red? You will have to decide which way you want to go on the upgrade - better road bike, a sort of tri bike but is more time trial in geometry or full on tri.

The spending starts - as I say I am not a cyclist but that is my two penny worth and hopes it helps in some way.
    Sorry - also meant to add, you might be able to get whichever bike you go for cheaper under the Bike to Work scheme
  • martyn837martyn837 Posts: 32
    Thanks for the reply Zacnici, What you say makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the giant SCR 2.0 but then saw the Ridley in LBS for £550.00 which is about the same money as the Giant....
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Martyn837

Ridley are Belgium Bike Company -- Their top end steeds are ridden by the Lotto - Silence ProTour Team, Cadel Evans and Robbie MacEwan are using them in the TdF

I nearly bought bought one of their bikes but the XL was too small for me [:@]

As you have been to your LBS have you 'talked' to them?..... if they are a good LBS they will guide you as to your 'best' buy and let you test ride several bikes...

e.g. My LBS (which I chose after visiting several) actually saved me £1000 when I purchased my last bike and stopped me buying a totally unsuitable steed (my lower back is very thankful for their advise [:D]).

The most important things are buying a bike in your budget and one that fits properly

Happy Training

BigR
    Agreed, my LBS suggested a cheaper bike the SCR3, but I thought I would go for the SCR2 as I reasoned I would no doubt want to upgrade at some time and the SCR2 would jump one upgrade and last me a few years. In the end I upgraded after 18 months and mid season to a Focus Tria but it has all worked out well in the end as I may have gone SCR3 to SCR2 and then to Tria. Tri is all about getting shiney new things anyway ... oh yes and that swimming, biking and running stuff as well.

Re SCR2, have seen the 2007 model on offer at £399

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=6931&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C107%7E1&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=

SCR3 can be had for £375 at www.Activesport.Co.UK

Bargains are there to be had

Another point if you don't desparately need the bike now and wait until the end of the season you might pick up some cracking bargains.
  • martyn837martyn837 Posts: 32
    Thanks for all the advice.. I have gone and brought the Ridley for £550...

Picking it up mid-week..

Martyn