Home Chat General Chat

Anyone race with Tubular tyres?

Evening,

I've had a quick search through the forum and I've seen a few opinions on Clinchers v Tubs but I just want to know if anyone does actually use Tubs for racing, particularly longer races where there is a higher risk of a punture which might require repair (i.e. being a lazy git I don't carry punture repair stuff on sprint events as if I do puncture I lose that much time it is irrelevant so I just give up...[&:])

I have to admit I have no real intention of using tubs but I know they are quicker (waits for disagreements) - lighter, higher pressure and natural profile is cylindrical so less rolling resistance.

I just want to know if there is any practical way of using them for, say, a half/full ironman?

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    I race with Tubs.Absolutly brilliant,They stay solid for weeks on end.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Do you carry one spare and have you ever had to change one in a race?
  • scuse the ignorance but what is a tubular tyre - can you use them on road bikes?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The thought scares me...plus having read Michael Hutchinsons article on gluuing tubs on whilst hilarious...really puts me off. Altho' Sniffin' Glue...
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I'll have to look that article up, never seen it.

God, Whereas a clincher is a tyre that 'clinches' under the edge of the rim and has an innertube inside a tub (tubular) is just a big round tube that sits on the rim, it is glued in place to stop it falling out of it's recess. It is just on piece. Hope that makes sense - tubular wheels are normally cheaper to mfr at the lower end of the scale but have the advantages detailed above. The disadvantages can be interesting too, guess they might be detailed in the article Britspin is talking about.

These should not be confused with mtb tubeless tyres that need a particular type of wheel that is either ready to take a tyre or glue can be used to attach a tyre so no inner tube is used.

I've only ever used clinchers for road & mtbs but am doing more cycling now with people who use tubs, although they are dedicated cyclists not triathletes.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I was considering getting a new planet x stealth with the wheel upgrades to the 80 something on the front and 101 on the back, which are tubs. It worked out quite a bit cheaper to get tubs, but i dont know whether it is worth it, as they sound a bit of hassle!
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Tubs or tubeless tyres are well worth getting.yes the wheels work out cheaper,ok they wiegh a bit more but they last long.they are more solid when inflated making the wheels stronger and they stay inflated for longer,becouse they do make the wheels stronger i recomend tubs to anyone who is thinking about getting carbon wheels.

ps.im afraid i havnt any spares
  • jasperjasper Posts: 9
    I've used tubs for years, highly recommend them. Just carry a spare (or two), I use old pedal toe clip straps to attach them to my seat post. If I puncture, it takes seconds to whip them off and replace. I use CO2 to inflate. I don't faff about with glueing, I use Jentex tub tape. Never had any issues with them rolling off, although you may want to go a little easier if you've just changed them before a fast descent/corner.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I seriously considered switching to tubs for all my cycling, but decided against it, mainly because there is a good range of good clincher wheels and tyres, although I agree that tubs offer lots of advantages.

I suppose .... to paraphrase Grace Jones -ish .... Tubs may be perfect but are they perfect for you?