Home› Chat› General Chat

RIVER SWIM & COKE - The CANNED Kind!

Firslty, been a while sinse i've posted, you all did so well at answering my questions 1st time round, but have been reading with intent!

Hope your all well??

Ok, my question.... Does drinking Full Fat COKE after a river swim help kill germs, or help in general?! I've been told it does, but have to say, drink it through gritted teeth, as A) i stopped drinking full fat years ago and B) i stopped drinking fizzy pop sinse i started training!

[:)]

Comments

• Neverheard such a thing before...Am I missing a trick?!

In terms of avoiding germs, bugs or colds, I would have recommended a good shower, cup of tea and a good meal as soon as you can.

As well as the practical swimming precautions such as covering any open cuts.

I love coke, though try to restrick to the weekends and drink the black label stuff - tastes like original and appears to be better for you!

• First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I once heard this before but not sure where, personally i think it's a myth the only way to not get anything from the water is to not swallow it and i know how hard that can be.If you are that worried take a trip to your doc and i'm sure he will give you regular health checks.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    My better half swears by it - always works for him.
  • epacseepacse Posts: 92
    As for 'not swallowing' oh trust me, nothing is further away from my thoughts! I'd love to hear from anyone who doesn't or hasn't! Tell me how?! In fact, tell us all! [:D]

I've heard it from a few people, and seeing what full fat coke does to a penny, then i'd say it's enough to kill a bull elephant, let alone a few water germs!

[:)]

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    hmmm, i think the logic behind this would be to increase acidity within the mouth/stomach, so maybe it could work, however the fluid within your stomach is far more acidic than a can of coke, and yes the extra acid in the coke may cause a slight increase in the acidity of the stomach, but this is likely to be transient as the stomach compensates for this increased acidity with a decrease acid release.

I think on this logical basis that orange juice would be a better option, as it is also acidic, but contains lots of vitamins in it which will also help the body fight any impending infection.

In regards to the swallowing issue, i think its pretty much unavoidable!
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Sounds like tinned shite to me and thats my medical opinion. If you're looking for antibacterail action, a medicated mouthwash would be better and it would n't have the same effect on your teeth.
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Jaysus Ard, tell it how it is!!

I'd say that we have been drinking unpurified water for thousands of generations and that you would have to be very unlucky to get any kind of bug.

laughable really, as kids we did all sorts and drank all sorts, and yet now...

Oh well, thanks for all the replies, and i suppose it's what you wanna believe!

I mean, i believe there's gold at the end of a rainbow and I'm getting better at my training... exactly, i rest my case!

[:D] [:D]
  • trijunkerstrijunkers Posts: 55
    I've never heard such a load of shite.
    trijunkers wrote:

I've never heard such a load of shite.

Dude, chill out... if you have a sharp opinion on such a lite subject, maybe keep it to your self!!

This is a nice friendly forum, lets keep it like that!

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    hey epacse,

was it a red can??? By any means in an aero shape and made of carbon???

This stuff can evenmake you faster you know!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist it [:)]).

By the way, I often drink coke (the real stuff), mostly at the end of good workouts ,races, or when I'm a little tired.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
    benny wrote:

hey epacse,

was it a red can??? By any means in an aero shape and made of carbon???

This stuff can evenmake you faster you know!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist it [:)]).

By the way, I often drink coke (the real stuff), mostly at the end of good workouts ,races, or when I'm a little tired.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

Thats it, that'll be why i swam so well!

Secret is, that i forgot to mention... i drunk it whilst swimming!! [:D] [:D]
  • I was told at the London Tri by the medical team there to drink Coke as i was choking with the amount of water i swallowed. They said it was proven to kill all bugs and even gave me a free can. Shame i am allergic to caffine.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Did some say a carbon tin in RED???? I gotta get me some of that. Maybe it could fit in the Soreen carbon box. Areo city!!!LOL

Back to the thread, Does someone here work for COKE? I find it hard to believe that there is any benifit from the comsumption of Coke. I am open minded to it through! I would of thought the amount of sugar would preserve a bug not kill it.
    It's probably the secret super ingredient that does the trick.

They must be on to something!?[;)]
    Although I prefer not to drink from the sewer water we sometimes have to swim in!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This is patent c**k, your stomach acid is waaaaaay more powerful than coke, if it (the bug) gets past that, it deserves a change at giving you the poops.
    [:D], fever season must be a bal for you, Britspin!!!![:D]
  • Agree with the majority here, your stomach acid is essentially Hydrochloric acid whereas coke contains Phosphoric acid, which is nasty but much weaker. I had a mate who heard of this years back, as he was a kayaker and apparently that was their excuse for drinking it.

Apart from the nice sugar hit, it realistically won't defend your body any more than it would defend itself naturally. And you'll be burping a lot!

Does anyone know anyone who has become ill from an OW swim soon afterwards?
    I recall a few fellow club members were a little iffy after one race last year..can't recall which one.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Were they members of Team COKE?

I imagine not! What sort of bugs are we talking. The one from rat pee?
    No not cokeheads, not weils disease just a bit squitty & nauseous I think, but gels do that to me...
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I recall a few fellow club members were a little iffy after one race last year..can't recall which one.

It wasn't the post-season pub-crawl, was it?
    thats why I can't recall perhaps....
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I also heard the coke story but dismissed it as an old wives tale
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Having attempted to de-rail this thread (!) I actually went back and re-read it. I can agree with the following comments made by others (tongue placed in cheek)... "load of old shite", "Load of c*ck", "stomach acid is way stronger" and treefrog's "old wives' tale". [:)]

Yes to all of the above. There is no way that coca-cola can kill something that your stomach acids can't kill for you. Then there's always the good old immune system. If I was feeling queasy enough to stop racing after drinking a load of swan-poo and rat's wee then I'd probably want some old fashioned tonic water - not because it kills bugs but because any fizzy drink (with the fizz still in it, sipped slowly) can help calm your stomach, and the Quinine in proper tonic water is a muscle relaxant and might stop tummy cramps. I'm sure coca-cola would just make me throw-up in a slightly more frantic way - but then I do get affected by caffeine.

The only swimming that has ever made me ill was 1) many times as a kid getting nose/ear/throat problems after swimming in the Solent (used to have open sewage discharges), but it never stopped me going in again, and 2) my local pool being horribly over-heated, over-chlorinated and over-used giving me a lung problem once.

Never had a tummy bug. [:D]