Home Chat General Chat

Am I the only one?

BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
Regular comments on this forum are starting to make me a little paranoid. It strikes me that everyone is obsessed with red kit. I f&!£+*g hate red kit.

I would be put off buying any bike if it had any red on it, the same goes for shoes, tri suits etc and I would have to seriously consider joining any tri club who's club kit was red.

I'd like some support please as I feel I'm the only one.

David.

Comments

• Hi Boycie,

I wish i could back you up but red is my favorite colour!!! Bristol City play in red, my tri club kit is red, I always choose red when buying clothes, my car is red, my van is red and my guitar and bass guitar are both red. I love red!

Lee

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    yes, yes you are the only one.
  • stevedavis82stevedavis82 Posts: 110
    Like Red, but not in Triathlon.........my bike is White, Tri Suit/tops/shorts are all black and white, and race in a blue helmet (giro advantage)!!! Red is over-rated......porridge is not!!!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Well i have not really bought any kit yet, but wont be buying red.

I went to tri uk ( its only 20 miles from me), was having a chat with one of the sales guy's about bikes.

I fancied a white one, but he informed me that everyone is buying white everything, bikes, gloves, shoes and glasses apparently its the most popular colour at the moment.

Needless tosay i dont want to follow the crowd, so wont be getting that now either.
  • Like you Boycie, I dont own any red racing kit. And certainly wouldn't want to draw attention to my slow pace by wearing such a colour. Apparently though, red is a colour that strikes fear into your opponents which is why football teams such as Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool do as well as they do. Personally, I prefer to scare my opponents by going out hard on the swim. Of course, when they pass me on the bike, they have the last laugh!!!!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well my bike is definitely not red, white and striking lime green, funnily enough on my first outing people were were walking past all the Cervelos, to chat about my bike, anyway suit very uninspiring blue/grey but yes my helmet does have some red for now ... However, getting a new suit, grey lime green and white and changing helmet to white

Did have a red suit last year - made me look like a beetroot on legs

[image]local://1974/0281AC0B4A064B808F92F6FD529C323D.jpg[/image]
  • Couldn't agree more Boycie,

Think red - think middle aged men driving around in thier toys(ferrari etc) that they can afford but not drive...hmm maybe some similarities there to bikes and thier riders!!!

I go black - black bike, wheels, suit, wettie, bike shoes, sunnies.

The most famous car in the world - KIT - was black; add to that Darth Vader, Batman,Dracula off Sesame Street, and you're in great company. And instead of porridge, theres black pudding - deee lish

Oh - and it helps in hiding my love handles and fat ass [:(]

E.T

• MGMG Posts: 470
    HA HA HA HA!! That was a good post ET!! And very true!!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    .............not ur love handles and fat ass, I wouldnt know about them!! I meant your reference to red kit mid life crisis and black kit. Very funny!!
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Im afraid red/black/white is definently in.I think black/yellow could be in next.
  • aero blobaero blob Posts: 29
    I reckon you're dead right on this one TTX - seems to rebound between the two. Watching the Tour de France, loads of teams/bikes are in white this year. Wonder if that feeds through? White might be OK for sunsoaked europe - that lovely daz white kit will morph into muddy brown in 5 mins of british Summertime i guess [:(]!
  • LainenLainen Posts: 3
    Men should not wear red lycra... do you know why?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=6183

Need I say more?[:D]

• Does anyone know where i can buy red porridge?[;)]
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Lainen's post is the very reason that I do not go 'commando' - see Fi's Post 'Knickers and Pants'
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    YELLOW! Are you kidding? That's worse than red.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    so what is the best colour then?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Zacnici wrote:

Lainen's post is the very reason that I do not go 'commando' - see Fi's Post 'Knickers and Pants'

..and the comments on the forum are the very reason I do....

altho I do draw the line at white, yellow or red shorts.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    The bike is white blue and orange, shoes black but the trisuit is red.... ONLY because it was cheap in 220 a few months back as the fire service had a load they wanted to get rid of! Trouble is, I now turn up in my beautiful National Fire Service Tri Team suit and everyone thinks I'm a fireman (well woman actually) but far worse... the suit implies a certain level of performance which I definately do not have. Think I'll dye it an anonymous grey colour!!!!

Apologies to all of you believers that red makes you faster - hope you're illusions are not too shattered!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I've just ordered a black bike. It is much better than my old red one so I'm hoping that the considerable expense, Ultegra everything and lashings of carbon fibre (well, the entire frame and fork) will compensate for it being the wrong colour. I'm currently having hypnosis so I can convince myself it is not black, just dark red.

I'm starting to get nervous about all this open talk about red kit. The authorities will clearly find out and add it to the anti-doping lists.

I expect that our triathletes in Beijing will be carefully tested to ensure that they are not wearing any red. Even under their tri-suits.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'm going out to buy anew bike today[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image][image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image][image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image].

I've decided to pass on the planet X stealth cause I want to keep on doing oly distance as well. So I went for the soloïst team from Cervelo; since one can alter this bike from road to Tri geometry (or at least almost). It has red in it, so I believe I will be faster then on my black/white ridley triton!!

(sorry bopo, our mantra's won't match, but hey, maybe black is better for you and red for me[:D]).

It's the first piece of kit that will be red that I buy, so I'm expecting to SHAVE of minutes here[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m4.gif[/image]
  • Bopomofo wrote:

I've just ordered a black bike. It is much better than my old red one

Well well Mr Bopo, all I can say is....... Welcome to the dark side!

[image]local://2009/CCE57DBAD4164AFAB6FCF50AF5375237.jpg[/image]
  • Hmmmm. I have split loyalties. My bike is a beautiful bright red, and is definitely a zillion miles an hour faster as a result. But red clothing is the sign of the devil (Man Utd etc), whereas blue (like my trisuit and helmet) is the colour of genius (otherwise known as Brighton and Hove Albion).

I think I'll have to compromise on Blue clothes (or black at a push), and a red 'machine'.

• toadtoad Posts: 104
    My bike is yellow and I have an array of different training and competition gear non of which is red. However the majority of competitors that go past me are wearing red so maybe there is something in it.
  • If i wear red to work does that mean I'll be finished by 3pm and out on my bike?[;)]
  • Nope, it just means that you'll get to work early and end up working an even longer day.... Unless you also wear red lycra at work, in which case you may manage to complete all your work faster.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    The treefrog wears blue/black/white kit apart from the eyes .... which are red.... due to alcoholism!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    ......and race rage [:@]
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    whereas blue (like my trisuit and helmet) is the colour of genius (otherwise known as Brighton and Hove Albion).

[/quote]

Quick this man needs help !
  • hlidhlid Posts: 7
    I go with black and green, helps me sneak past the crowds without them seeing how slow I am going. That only works in the countryside though so may have to invest in grey for London!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Hey, endless taper, love the Darth Aero helmet.

Don't forget to put it on backwards, just like our hero in the picture that Benny posted... you'll gain valuable places while everybody else falls over laughing.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=16132&mpage=1&key=&#16819