Home Chat General Chat

Your best top tips......

Hey guys, thought it might be useful to get a rond-up of everybodys top tips for training/race day so we can all share your little pearls of wisdom.

I dont really have any....hence why i want all yours lol!!!

Comments

• As I've just done my first tri yesterday I have got a couple of things.

1. Practice open water swimming before the race. I got totally thrown by not being able to see anything in the river. It hadn't really occured to me that it would be so different to pool swimming. Even sticking electrical tape over your goggles or something, just to prepair you for not being able to see your hand in front of your face.

2. Don't change anything at all from what you would normally do in training. I mixed my carb drink stronger than normal by mistake and had to walk/jog/walk the run with stomach cramps like I'd eaten broken glass. Ended up 10 minutes slower than my training times!!!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I think my top tips incorporate what tri_dot said above and my big one is race simulation.

This comes in many forms, from conditions, such as practicing in open water as tri_dot says to performance related, such as bike to run bricks, right though to nutrition strategies.

In particular my tip with the run is to do lots of runs at race distance. These don't have to be always at race pace. They can be broken into intervals, but at some point you have to run the race distance at race pace, and do this a good amount of times. The principle reason for this is that you have to train your neuromuscular system into KNOWING (this is important!) that it can do the distance. This is to override protective mechanisms which induce fatigue to conserve energy and promote survival!

• LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Don't go out for a 14km run the day before a tri as you haven't trained for a couple of weeks becuase of work.... oddly enough your race will suffer

;-)
  • Remember why you are training and racing - For me its my own choice and therefore should be enjoyable!!

Sometimes I forget to smile and am pressuring myself into going for it that bit faster/further - sound familar [:)]

New mantra is relax, enjoy and have fun!!

• transittransit Posts: 163
    My top tip would be that (within reason) less is often MORE. I.e. you're better off training smarter balancing breakthrough sessions with recovery sessions rather than either plodding hour after hour or going flat out all the time. Also, in support of this, if you feel tired in training you probably need a break to allow your body to recover and become stronger and not get injured (disclaimer: obviously at some pt during tri training you might feel just a little tired [8|] .....you get the jist!)

It's taken me a long time to tell myself to take it easy sometimes, too frequently overtrained [:'(]