Home Chat General Chat

What are good Nuts & Fish to eat?

I appreciate that there must be loads and loads of info. about the above on the web but I've been trying for wks to get the time to do research and I haven't managed it (too busy posting on here!!!). Can anyone provide a rough guide to the best types of nuts and fish to eat to support training. Thanks very much.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    A variety of both..there that didn't take long! Oily fish has the best rep at the mo as we are all urged to increase our omega oil intake (whilst I am sure we should be sorting out proportions of O3 & O6 instead), off the top of my head brazil nuts are rich in selenium..after that well I had better do some research..
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Peanut butter!

Almonds

Cashews

I love a whole grilled trout. Tinned makerel... apprently not so good to eat too much tinned tuna as contain quite a lot of heavy metal.
    Don't eat the tin...
    www.nuthealth.org (I am not making this up.)
    www.vegsoc.org/info/nutsseeds.html
    www.calorieking.com
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Britspin........You need to get out more!! [:D][;)]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    With nuts there is not a huge variation in fat/protein content. They are all very high in mono-unsaturated fat, which is the good kind! needed for testosterone production amongst other thing. There are slight variations in fat content, but they arent that large, only a few grams per 100, so I wouldn't worry too much. Howevere there are some nuts, such as Brazil nuts that Britspin pointed out, which contain high levels of essential nutrients such as selenium, which is a potent anti-oxidant.

My only advice would be to stick to roasted and UNSALTED! I go through about a pack of nuts (roughly 100g) a day. And by the way I'm very thin and have almost no fat (for those of you who were wondering about the large fat content!).

Now, the story is not quite the same for fish.

In regards to protein, there is not a variation between fish, however some have slightly higher fat composition within the flesh, so protein % goes down. I belive tuna is one of the highest in protein, but is very low in fat. So if your going for protein, then tuna is the best bet!

The oil content in fish is far more vaired, with fish like tuna having a very low fat content, whereas fish like salmon and mackeral have very high fat content, most of which is oils such as omega 3 etc.

White fish like cod also has very high protein, but very low fat content, it also contains very low levels of oils in the flesh, as these fish store there essential oils in their livers, hence 'cod liver oil'!

So in regards to fish, my advice as ever is variation.

Stuff that comes in tins will have a very low fat level, so not much in the way of essential oils, as these are removed in the canning process, heating etc. But they will maintain their high protein.

So you can't just rely on tuna cans and batter cod, because you wont be getting your essential oils.

So get some nice salmon fillets into the diet, bit of mackeral and kippers maybe, tin of tuna here and there, and carry a bag of unsalted mixed nuts around with you everywhere you go like I do!
    MG....I am at work.....hard at work of course, this is all essential research vital to the effectiveness of my job.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Thanks for that everyone, exactly what I was after. Time for me to go 'get some nuts' Mr T style!
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Don't rule out seeds as well .. sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax - they are all great - bung em in your salad or better still toast them and add a bit of lemon and paprika or chile and a smidge of soy sauce!