Home Chat General Chat

starting

I'm 14 years old and would like to start training to do triathlons in a few years time. I'm a strongish swimmer, ok at running, and a strong cyclist I try to cycle everday for at least 20 minutes. Could anyone give me tips on when to train and how long and how far to go with each part. I would really apreciate any usefull tips and comments . Iwould also like to know what food should i avoid when training.

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    First of all why are you not at school.

2 nd, i am new to tri to but

Try and aviod anything that is not good for you, which at your age will be everything you want to eat,

No biscuits, cakes, sweet, chocolate, sugary drinks.

But having said that as long as you eat a healthy balanced diet you will be fine.

Try and limit the above bad foods, eat loads of fruit and veg, lots of chicken and fish.

At your age your still growing so its important to make sure you have alot of calcium( for your bones), so lots and lots and even more milk. when your mates buy coke, buy a pint of milk.

There are absolutly thousands of training tips on the net, but be carefull because they are not all good ones, if your body starts to hurt, listen to it, its the best way to know when your getting into trouble or doing to much.

Rest is as bigger part of training as the training itself.

I'm sure others will give better tips than my limited knowledge but good luck
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    My advice would be to seriously consider looking to join a triathlon club with a junior section. You should get alot of guidance about training, a good atmosphere to do so in, plus it becomes more sociable and fun. This should help give you some structure to your training.

You will find lists of clubs in your area on the British Triathlon website and they will tell you if they have a junior section.

Best of luck and enjoy the sport.

David.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Got to go with Boycie, join a club, get guidance & enter races, there are all the Tri star races/events to get used to racing in, before you get to the big boys.
  • reesjrreesjr Posts: 4
    to Jelly legs

I am not in school as there is no school today my school is on that strike thing>

To all who have given me advice thanks I will take it all into mind
    Get out in the sun & do some training...today is the first day of your 6 week plan to raise your game for some autumn/winter races.
  • reesjrreesjr Posts: 4
    To anyone that can help. i have just looked on the british traiathlon website. Therre are no clubs near me ad my dad says when Ican prove I am capable to do triathlons he will take me to the nearest one so what training can i do at home that will help me improve. I have a bike , running shoes and accses to a gym and swimming pool
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    First up be careful what you do in the gym.

At your age your body will be hitting growth spurts and during that time you run the risk of causing injuries as you won;t be as physically strong as usual.

With 99% of athletes under 16 years I would strongly recomend doing body weight circuits and dynaband training. This will allow you do develop your natural body strength while minimising the risk of injury.

Probably the most important area to focus on will be your flexibility. Make sure you stretch off thoroughly after all training sessions (bike, run, swim and gym work).

If you want send me a pm and I will email you a basic dynaband and flexibility programme.

ps I am a full time Strength & Conditioning Coach

[image]local://2146/846796640A164966A94A1BD6403A08B4.jpg[/image]
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    There is no end of advice you could be given on this as it is a large area, however;

[ul][*]Most importantly, enjoy your training. Mix things up so you don't get bored.

[*]Train regularly, there is no point doing 1 great week followed by taking the next 2 off.

[*]Don't neglect you strengths, i.e. swimming, but work on your weaknesses.

[*]Don't forget to rest, it is as important as training.

[*]Listen to your body and don't overdo it. This will help you assess when you need to rest.

[*]Think about improving technique rather than just going and training hard.

[*]Think about training for distance before you train to get faster. At the distances you will race you don't need to do huge volumes of training, I wouldn't like to give advice on how far or long you should train for without knowing you, the same goes for how many times a week.

[*]Don't be scared of doing some weight training despite what others may say, just make sure you are shown how to do it properly.

[*]Don't let your dad get out of his promise, make sure he takes you to a race/club when you've proved yourself.[/ul]

I hope this helps a bit, like I say, I don't want to tell you you should be doing 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 bikes etc a week without knowing what you are capable of. If you get serious and can find a club, they will help you with this.

Best of luck,

David.
    Not wanting to confuse the issue with weight training...but supervision, instruction & technique are key...growth spurts or not (all that testosterone..bring it on!) resistance bands can damage as easily as weights..as can body weight with poor technique..anyway that said. Gym work is OK..moderation, planned, progressive & relevant.

Much better would be a planned beginners tri programme, featuring all 3 disciplines. Reesjr, why don't you search tinterweb & find some you like the look of (is there one on here?), & link it to here & the brains trust of 220 will pull it apart..or not.