Home Chat General Chat

Bike Dismount Area Question

Having tried and failed horribly to achieve the desired removal of feet from shoes (leaving shoes attached to pedals) as I approach the T2 dismount zone I was wondering if having stopped and dismounted I could immediately take my bike shoes off and run barefoot into T2?

Do I have to wait to reach my racking position in T2 before removing the shoes?

Question is a general one but as London is my #1 event this season I guess it's really aimed at that one.

As ever - thanks in advance.

Comments

• toadtoad Posts: 104
    Interesting question, T1 is done in bare feet so why not t2, only problem maybe is the potential of obstructing other cyclist as they dismount.

Probably the best way to overcome this problem is to practise.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Hi Harlow,

You can run into transition carrying your shoes and bike if you like, could be a bit awkward though?

If you want to be even slicker...........(this works best with traithlon, single strap bike shoes) when you're on your second lap of the bike you'll be going back up a ramp which leads you back into the Excel centre (transition), before you get to the ramp undo one of your velcro shoe straps and carefuly pull your foot out, put your foot on top of the shoe (not in it) and pedal, repeat for the opposite shoe pedal up the ramp and.............hey presto, when you get to the dismount box you'll leap off your bike like a gazelle and sprint into transition like a pro!! Theres plenty of straight good surfaced road to do this on. Give it try on some quiet road and see how you get on.

Good luck.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    That would be a cycling gazelle....bet they have touble with cleats.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I normally have no problem with the method that MG describes, but I don't think i could do it up the london ramp, I've never competed in london but it looks pretty steep!

At least at london they will have a nice surfaced to run on following dismount, in the hereford one it was a bit gravelly! I am glad I made the decision to wear socks!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I would not try to slip a foot out and then back on to the shoe while on the final ramp into the centre. Either have it done before then after you are up the ramp as there is a 50m lead in to the dismount line!

London is a great race and you're gonna love it!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I had both feet out before the ramp then got into trouble trying not to pull up on the pedals while going up the damned thing. It's not exactly a killer hill work-out (!), but it was steep enough to make me worry about my feet slipping off the pedals.

Then I got to the top and saw everybody around me getting their shoes off on the flat at the top. Plenty of time, unless you're really slow.

Harlow originally asked about taking your shoes off in the bike stop box. That would be a 'No', probably a safety violation, bound to p*ss off the five other people who are trying to get past and an ideal way to get a carbon fibre wheel tightly lodged in the ol' bike park, if you know what I mean. [:(]