Home Chat General Chat

Tattoos

I have decided I want to get my 1st tattoo, its in a kind of abstract swim,bike,run design.

I have a bit of a technical question, in regards to swimming post-inking. I had a look on the internet and there seems to be very conflicting views of how long you should wait before swimming, going from 1 week up to 3 months!

So I was wondering if anyone on here has a tattoo or knows of any swimmers who've have one done and how long they waited. Because obviously 3 months is a very long time not to swim for! So I was thinking of coinciding it with my meniscal tear repair, when I wouldn't be able to swim much anyway.

Also does anyone have any views on pool vs open water, as I've been told that the chlorine in the pool can sometimes affect the ink if it hasnt healed properly, but swimming in open water could make infection more likely.

Thanks, Tommy T

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    With mine I've returned to swimming after 2 weeks and no fading or anything.......
  • Don't know about tattoos but any cuts or grazes i get get covered with spray plaster so i can get back in the pool straight away, it claims to be waterproof.
  • I've a couple and you have to wait until any scabbing has totally gone or it'll come off in the pool and damage the tatt.

I'd say 2 weeks is at the top end of things - you might get away with a bit less.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    thanks for the advice guys, Its quite a small design and with thin lines, so hopefully it will heal quickly!

I will have it done after my last race in september!

Heres the design I was thinking, what do people think? Its going to be small, on the back of my neck.

[image]local://1906/7BF3B8846C984196A20A703228302A0C.jpg[/image]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Two weeks should be enough. Thats what I did twice, and what I was advised by the tattoo artist.
  • Really like the design...but back of the NECK !!!!

U sure?

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Love it! I don't have any tattoos myself, and I think the only one I want is a small IM tattoo on my right ankle - but I have to earn it first...

Having said that, I could easily see a kind of compressed and stylised version of what you've doen on my upper arm, masquerading as one of those fashionable 'Celtic Band' style tats.

Or, on the other hand (or leg), exactly as you've done but on the calf leaving enough space for the IM to come later.

Whatever... it's a very nice design.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I've looked at your design again..... shit yes! put the three action figures in a line all around your ankle, instead of in a column on your neck (why?). Get you IM tat done above them!
    I was thinking that, its either back of calf, ankle or neck. Either way I want it in a place that is coverable, but visible when I want it to be!

I actually do have a photo of it drawn down the back of my calf, and it looks ace, but its too big to put on here!

I originally wanted it on my forearm/wrist, but i've been advised against that as having visible tattoos as a doc is a bit frowned upon!

I'll have a go at drawing them on my ankle now!
  • notmilknotmilk Posts: 35
    In a line around your ankle? Wow you have BIIIG ankles!