Home Chat General Chat

More More More....

LindsLinds Posts: 124
The training I have been doing has increased my appetite quite considerably, and I have been eating more and more, which isn't totally surprising.

But things have now got out of hand.

I did the Bath Sprint yesterday and I pretty much haven't stopped eating ever since. I have had more sandwiches, toast, cereal bars, curry etc. than you can shake a bloody big red carbon fibre stick at (yes I now that porridge isn't on that list, but shock horror, I haven't started on the magical gloop yet).

I have just had a huge lunch, but I am still considering popping down to the vending machine for a choccy bar and a packet of crisps!

I have also been having cravings for bloody Coke too.

Is this some sort of sneaky triathlon trick, whereby you eat like Vanessa Feltz/Rick Waller in a chocolate cake factory post race, so you daren't stop training and enter another race for fear of turning into said cake lover.

Help before I explode

Comments

• stevedavis82stevedavis82 Posts: 110
    You need to ensure that you eat a well balanced meal about an hour after the race, lots of protein and complex carbs!! I usually go for Chicken with rice or something lie that.

Just have a good meal then back to usual. As for the sweet cravings that might be because in a sprint you are working at a HR of just below anaerobic threshold and burning about 25% fat to 75% Sugars/Carbs. This is why you will want to eat/drink coke/cake to replace those lots sugars. Try eating some Mango or other fruit that will replace them without the nasty stuff to boot.

Hope this helps.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    turning to drugs won't help.....
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    oh man, that made me laugh. maybe you should talk to 'Frank'[:D]
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    So you wouldn't recommend the 'Winehouse' Diet?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I wouldnt be too worried about your recent eating habit, its only your bodies way of telling you that it needs food to recover.

Hunger is obviously a subjective feeling, with many psychological and physical factors having an effect. Many people eat because of psychological factors like boredom, or for social convention such as I must eat at dinner time even i'm not that hungry at the moment.

However as an athlete our hunger should be primarily driven by physical needs, as we should be too busy training and getting on with life to be bored.

This requires you to listen to what your body wants, but also have a proper understanding of what your body needs.

In your case, you're in post race. During the race your muscles are going to have taken a battering, which means your body primarily needs two things, carbs to refill the glycogen, and protein to repair the damaged muscle fibes.

It sounds to me form what you have said that you havent really eaten the right things post race to satisfy your bodies need for recovary in particular the protein. Hence why your body keeps telling you its hungry!

So you've got to listen up and give it what it wants! Slow carbs and protein i.e. Porridge! hehe.