Home Chat General Chat

Puntures

I'm attempting my first OD tri at Rivingington in Sept, training's going quite well, but I'm haunted by a recent charity ride (Blackpool windmills) that was blighted by a blown tyre wall & 4 punctures. In the thousands of miles of training on the turbo & roads I've never had any problems but the experience of the charity ride has me erring on the side of caution. Can anybody give me advice on the puncture repair kit that is normal to take on a tri event. I'm thinking of taking a co2 inflator with a built in hand pump, some instant patches, a spare inner tube & some tyre levers, is this overkill?

Comments

• Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    Not in my opinion as I have similar bad experiences on rides, I tend to go for the 'overkill' as well, for IMNZ I had the following -

a small saddle pack with 2 tubes, plus levers and an instant patch kit

in rear pocket of shirt I have 2 more tubes and a Cannondale AIRSPEED MAXIMUM Mini Track Pump

2 weeks before the race I changed to a new set of race tyres (Conti Attack Force) and tubes (old useable tubes get recycled to indoor trainer bike), so I could 'break' the tyres in.

The day before registration I checked tyres for damage - just in case.

I use the mini track pump as it will get to 110psi as most hand pumps only go to about 80psi, but I have had to stick a bit of velcro to the pump and on the inside of the pocket to prevent it leaping out as it is longer than the normal mini pumps, I personally do not like the C02 inflators but I am probably a dinosaur in that regard.

After the race I changed the tyres back to my training tyres.

I am fairly slow (and heavy!) so the extra weight does not matter to me.

Good Luck in your event

FW
  • gruffymaxgruffymax Posts: 21
    Have you tried Conti Grand Prix Triathlon tyres? They have the same features of the Grand Prix race tyre except they have a puncture protection layer. I may upgrade to these for races when funds allow!
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    gruffymax wrote:

Have you tried Conti Grand Prix Triathlon tyres? They have the same features of the Grand Prix race tyre except they have a puncture protection layer. I may upgrade to these for races when funds allow!

Have added those to my Wiggle wish list ;-)
  • lazycheflazychef Posts: 3
    Cheers free willy, great advice. I practiced the Rivington bike course yesterday, it's murder. Pot holes all over the place, missing tarmac on fast downhill sections, the cycle path seems to be used to collect debris from the road. I'm almost guaranteed a puncture!!! Will definatly be going fully prepared.

Gruffymax, I was riding GP's when my tyre wall mysteriously blew, so I don't really trust them, although the tri specific ones will be better. I notice Mitchelin do some Ironman tyres that I might treat myself to, just before the race.

Thanks to all.