Home Chat General Chat

Gym Machines

Hiya everybody, new to the forum, I did my last triathlon about three years ago, and now I have got the bug again and have decided to really seriously go for it again.

Question. I have just recently joined a gym, do the machines like the stairmaster, bike, treadmill, benefit you as much training wise, or are you better of going out cycling and running outside, or is it better to mix them and cross train. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

George

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Personally I don't use any gym machines, for a number of reasons -

1. I believe they give you poor form, in particular the gym bike and treadmill. The bike is in such an upright position, which is very distant from the position you are going to be racing in on a road bike. This causes your form to change to less of a circular spinning action to more of a forceful downstroke, this is also caused by the inability to clip in. The pedals are also in front of your seating position slightly, rather than beneath it.

In regards to the treadmill I am less certain as to why its so different, but i find I run very differently on it than I do on the road, however it does have the advantage of being less of an impact on the knees.

2. I find gyms pretty boring places! I loose motivation if I am at the gym, whereas on the open road at least the scenery is nice and always changing!

In regards to the other machines such as the stepper, I find these can be good to increase overall fitness, but I find there effects limited in comparison to actually doing the 3 sports. As you do more of a particular action, e.g. cycling your body becomes more efficient in doing that particular action. Hence why a great cyclist with incredible fitness who doesn't swim very often would get into a pool and be knackered after a few lengths!

As its supposedly summer, hmmm, I would recommend getting out on the open road as much as you can and leave the gym for the long cold winter!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try the concept 2 rowing machine. Its not directly tri related but it gives you a damned good workover(designed in hell built by Lucifer).

The benchmark scores (for lightweight rowers) are: 2500M sub 8.00 min, 2000M sub 6.30, 5000M sub 17.00 min.

Like the turbo trainer there are all sorts of intervals and work outs to help you get these scores

• As an ex-rower myself I can testify to the fact that the concept 2 rowing machine is without doubt one of the best (if not THE) best gym-based workout you can get. It is used exclusively by every rowing club in the land including all our olympic athletes who use it for their land training. Without doubt it is a great way to improve your aerobic capacity. One thing to remember is that a lot of beginners use their arms far too much when rowing. It's actually your legs where the power is - drive with the legs from the bum through the hamstrings, then when your legs are flat bring the hands into your sternum in a rapid motion and then slowly come forward again to the "catch" and repeat. If you're using the machine for the first time aim to maintain a 2 mins for 500 metre split. Unless you are doing a sprint on the machine you should aim to keep the strokes per minute no more than about 22-24. Don't forget to enjoy the pain too!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    treefrog wrote:

Try the concept 2 rowing machine. Its not directly tri related but it gives you a damned good workover(designed in hell built by Lucifer).

The benchmark scores (for lightweight rowers) are: 2500M sub 8.00 min, 2000M sub 6.30, 5000M sub 17.00 min.

Like the turbo trainer there are all sorts of intervals and work outs to help you get these scores

I too agree that the Concept 2 rower is brilliant but I do think that Treefrogs above Metres/Time are incorrect. I think you should aim for 230-250M/Min....
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I dont think treefrog is especially saying to aim for those times, just that those are the times that rowers aim for. Incidentally I am not much of a rower, but I can do 2000 in under 6.30.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ah the gym...we have a world in which to train..so we come indoors.

Anyhoo, TommiTri has it on the nose about bikes & treadmills, treadmills are different due to the mechanics of keeping up with a moving belt rather than propelling yourself forward in the real world with air resistance, etc etc, so a treadmill encourages a 'braking' action on the legs & body & your foot passes under your body once planted, whereas running out in the world your body passes over your planted foot..not the same thing at all.

So in short, get out & do it for real, what you do is what you get good at, the gym can be saved for the dark days of winter to strengthen weak bits, re hab or pre hab injuries, core stability etc etc.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You & me both...I get paid for this, not much mind.
  • en51nmen51nm Posts: 41
    All of my cycling in preparation for my first triathlon do date has been on a gym bike... this was not out of choice, but becuase I only recently decided to start doing triathlons and at the time was in living in another country, with no chance to buy get a new bike! I get back to the UK next week and my new bike is awaiting me but then I have only three weeks before my first tri!! Do you think this will be enough time to convert my "gym bike" legs into "normal" road bike legs?! [:(]
  • HodgsonHodgson Posts: 13
    en51nm I've been waiting for a bike since April (wiggle and halfords combined is a recipe for disaster) and only just recieved it last week. Have been training on a gym bike since January. First proper outing on Saturday and completed a 40km ride in 1h 4mins. As long as you've done a lot of training I don't think it will be a problem.