Home Chat General Chat

Bizarre pool lanes?

I am looking for confirmation I am not going mad. I always swim in the same lane in my local leisure centre 30m pool. Following the circulation directions I swim up one side of the lane and down the other side. BUT, it always takes me more strokes to swim down one side than up the other (28 vs 34)...how is this possible? Do swimming pools have currents? I know there's some sort of filter mechanism in pools that pumps the water around, but surely it shouldn't have such a big impact? Anyway, apologies for sounding like a loon, but this has been bugging me for weeks now!! Any thoughts?

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    The only thing I can think of is, lets say its anti-clockwise like my pool is, when you are swimming down the side by the lane rope, which is on your right, the people in the next lane are going to be swimming against you possibly pushing the water towards you if you get me! does that make sense?

Its the only thing I can think of!

• Are you tumble turning at one end?

Know it sounds a bit obvious but would be a likely answer.

E.T
  • Hey, I'm not that good!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Oh, i also forgot to add that I also find a slight difference in my lengths, I am slightly quicker, 1-2 secs and often 1/2 strokes less going deep to shallow, than I am going the other way.

In my pool, which I have to say is utter crap, as the shallow end is so painfully shallow I could crawl in it!

I was thinking it could maybe something to do with the depth, as this seems to be the only changing factor, I'm not one for hydrodynamics but could the extra depth have an effect on forces of motion, i.e. Isaac's 3rd law. I may be talking absolute sh*t now!
  • You'r e not mad - it's quite common. I do a coached session on a Thursday night and we nearly all get this - I'm always 15 one way and 16 the other. I think it is a combination of the two things - the water filter and the direction of the other swimmers. It's definately odd.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Its downhill to the deep end of course...