Home Chat General Chat

new to it all...

Hi all,

I'd just like to introduce myself, say hi and find out how other people got into triathlon. I'm Rob, 38, living in Gloucestershire, started swimming to lose weight and now looking to try something new. I'm still a triathlon virgin in that respect and trying to build up the courage to enter my first event. I swim (badly), ride (badly) and run(even worse), but can do the distances individually - it'd be great to be able to put it all together. As people have said it's about competing with yourself and I can live with coming second. However my "training" is not particularly focussed - I go to the pool and swim a mile, I'll ride the bike for an hour in the evening... You get the idea.

I've got a bike (mountain and a set of slicks for the road - yet to be fitted), I've got running shoes, I don't have a wetsuit (but have read about hiring one for the season which sort of makes sense until I know I'm into it), but where have others found inspiration and what event should I try first? (The Cotswold tri in September looks good, but is it too late to train for? Should I be looking at completing a pool based event first). How have others trained? Books? Clubs?...

BR

Rob

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279

Like you I got into it to loose several chunky tires around the mid rift that I had inexplicably gained whilst at uni.

Have to confess my training is pretty haphazard at the moment, and I need to sort that out, but your training seems pretty much like mine, though I am gradually getting back into training twice a day. So long as you dont mind taking your time it is most likely you could get through a sprint tri now if you want to gt a feel for them, primarily I'm using this season to get a good base level and try a few events to gain the experience, rather than compete.

As to a first event I'm afraid I cant help as I have only done two so far, though I know Seven oaks are holding a second triathlon in September and it is a small friendly event incredibly well marshalled etc and would be good for a beginner as it was for me!

Books I can recommend 'Starting Out; Triathlon" from the Ironman range, very simple and light reading thus a good intro book.

So long as you dont mind challenging yourself and having to push a little harder you'll be hooked after your first event.

Good luck.

Bonus

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Rob,

I kind of fell into it by accident. I'd been forced to stop running as much because of a knee complaint and ended up swimming and biking to lose some weight and maintain some fitness. I really enjoyed both and once the knee was sorted with some physio carried on doing all three. I rembered a mate of mine who ran had done a tri and figured I could give it a go.

Bought Eric Haas's book Triathlon in 6 Weeks or something. Its more a motivational book than a training regime, but it really inspired me to train more.

Not that many Tri's in the Highlands of Scotland and they probably not much use to you anyway. I did a mini (400/10/5k) a few weeks ago to get a feel for racing and then did my first sprint on saturday in Edinburgh. I plan on doing another 3 sprints and a mini this season and then progress to standards and possibly half ironman next year once I've got a really solid level of fitness and technique.

Enjoy your training.

Jazdog
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    For your first event I would go with a pool swim at sprint distance that should give you a feel for the sport and you shouldn't have any problems finishing it (as long as you don't get hung up on times) you'll have a good idea if you wish to continue (although I know you will - it happens to us all). Neil.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Hey Jazdog

I know that there is now a triathlon running in Stirling that looks well worth checking out, I'm thinking of coming back up to give it a go (went to uni there for five years so good excuse for a catch up with old friends and a beer or few!)
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hiya,

I knew about Stirling, its the biggest tri in Scotland apparently but last I heard it was all booked up.

Next one's in Inverurie near Aberdeen.

Jaz