Home Chat General Chat

Shoes on tyres

Hello all,

Just bought some new road racing cycle shoes. When I click them in and with my foot/shoe as far forward as possible when I turn the wheel the end of the shoe touches the tyre slightly... hope this makes sense. Anyone else have this problem?

Samuel

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Is your cleat in the right position, under the ball of your foot?

Are the shoes a lot longer than your old ones?

If all is correct with your positioning then think about how much you are turning the bars... are you likely to have the wheel turned this much in a normal situation?

You've just prompted me to go and get on my bike in the garage and see how much clearance I have... it's a good 5cm or so.

Or maybe you are a short-arse on an extra-small bike with size 15 feet? Just a thought.[:D]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    The cleats are in the correct position, and the shoes fit my feet (size 11 uk / 45 europe). As far as Im aware the bike is correct sizing for me and yes it is a possible amount of turning the handle bar whilst pedalling. So what now?!

Oh and I have just purchased the shoes and just had the bike given to me....
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    This might be a bit of a pain, but could you post a picture or two?
    Yeh, I will. Ill have to do it tomorrow now though.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    That sounds a bit weird. Maybe the geometry of the bike isn't suitable. Looking fwd to seeing the photos. If cleats are right there isn't a huge amount that could be wrong unless you purchased those new Carnac multipurpose clown/tri shoes?!?[&:][;)]
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    Can't wait to see these pictures. Have you thought about slightly shorter crank arms. May help but pedal effort may increase slightly.

And bopo nothing wrong with being an umpa lumpa, there's more of us out here than you think, and we pack a nasty ankle punch, so you lofty's beware.

Here are the pics, so let me know what you guys think.

[image]local://1748/B5AC1CB5A3D94050BB893E86BB3026B5.jpg[/image]
    next

[image]local://1748/84A0313BD82642AEBEB6DF75F83B8CC0.jpg[/image]
    and again...

[image]local://1748/E1059259035947C6B22F1186431B9101.jpg[/image]
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Those cranks look pretty long!! I think that having a look at some shorter crank arms could be an answer. Out of interest, how long are they, measure from centre BB to centre pedal mount bolt, I reckon theyre 175 at least, which is quite long...........
    ill have a look. what are yours?
  • Long cranks!? They have to be 220s to do that on my bike. I've just checked mine and in the same position I've got half an inch cleanance between toe and tyre and that's with 170 cranks.

Looking at the picture, you've got the cleat all the way forward so the shoe can't go any further back on the pedal but in the top down shot it looks a long way forward on the pedal which is odd.

It must just be a quirk of the frame, fork, pedal and shoe combination but I'm not sure how you're going to fix this. Is there anyone oyu can borrow a different type of pedals and shoes from to see fi that helps? Maybe a trip to your local bike shop is in order.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I can't see it being the cranks. The most they are going to be is 175 you'd hope and even if they were 180 or above it's only 10mm over a popular 170mm.

The only thing I could think of would be a fork with really exaggerated 'rake'. That would move the front wheel further away. Unfortunately, it would also completely change the handling of the bike!!

And it didn't happen with your old shoes? Hmm, I'm flumuxed!!
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    What is the geometry of the bike, ie top tube length, seat post length, rear angle of frame and front angle of frame... as Transit says, may just be the frame shape. But if you have a look at the geometry and compare it to other bikes geometry (usually found on the bike's websites) you will see if perhaps the bike has less / more of an angle etc...
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Read this interesting article ....toe overlap

I think it goes along the line small bike, short wheelbase, to get rider in perfect position there may be some toe overlap, for general riding it is not an issue.

BigR
    well after reading that artcle im a little less bothered. just thought it was odd thats all.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    how very strange, two questions remain, how many people went straight over to their bike and looked to see how far their feet were from the front wheel? and secondly did anyone else fall off becaused they were too busy looking at their feet to realise they had over balanced and didn't get their foot out in time? Didn't hurt and the wife found it highly amusing.

On both my bikes (63cm Frame size) I would need shoes like a circus clown to get any toe overlap [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

BigR
    63cm!! what are you, a giant?
    Nearly 6ft 7" ( Old money) - 2m 03cm... new money - nearly a giant

Today really peeed off --- Back Spasm when getting in car at 06:10 to go Sunderland Triathlon [:@] [:@][:@][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(] - still cannot move around very much - looks like rest of season going to be a wash out ... was due to do the Rydale Rumble Sportive next weekend as

...... well time for Rest
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Sorry to hear that, rj.

I had exactly the same issue this morning, new bike and shoes, while testing the clipping in and out (stationary) I found myself kicking the tyre.

Thing is though, you'll never turn the handlebars through that angle while you're riding. If you do, you'll surely fall.
    Rockie wrote:

Sorry to hear that, rj.

I had exactly the same issue this morning, new bike and shoes, while testing the clipping in and out (stationary) I found myself kicking the tyre.

Thing is though, you'll never turn the handlebars through that angle while you're riding. If you do, you'll surely fall.

What bike you on?
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Trek 1000.