Home Chat General Chat

Total Immersion slowing me down

I am a relatively slow swimmer (being quite new to it) and I have been completing Sprint swims in 17minutes (for 750meters) and generally coming out of the water in the last 5% of people.

I recently invested in the Total Immersion Books and drills and this has been going well, I can now easily swim 1500 meters and get out of the water with plenty of energy to spare for the bike/run.

The problem is that in the 2 Tri events I have completed since starting TI, I am now slower than I was before. I now complete a sprint swim in 19 minutes vs. my original 17. I am doing a faster bike as I am feeling fresher out of the water but this just doesn't feel right in my head.

Has anyone else seen this issue when starting TI?

Also, a friend has been watcing me in the pool and says that TI has given me a body roll which in turn moves my hips (and then ankles) all over the place when I am swimming (snake hips he calls it) is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

DJ [/align]

Comments

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    I've had something similar.

I have just started coached swim sessions with my local tri club (BADtri) and these are the first coached sessions (of any sort) that I have ever had.

I have done all of four sessions and am loving them, but they have wrecked my speed and I resorted to my old stroke style, which isn't all that fast (14:30 for 750m), for the Bath Sprint.

However the last two sessions I have had, since Bath, have been really good, and the stroke seems to be coming together much better, especially after last nights head tapping drills.

Another couple of weeks and it will be time for a timed 750m swim to see how the new stroke is doing, as I've got a super sprint in September and I need to know I'm going to be fast enough for that.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    TI can slow you down in the beginning. Use the search engine on this forum to find Total immersion-related threads. You'll see lots of people are frustrated about TI and stop doing it. I'd say stick with it, it works. As I said, look for previous threads, you'll find out more there.
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    I am doing a faster bike as I am feeling fresher out of the water but this just doesn't feel right in my head.
    Are you two minutes faster on the bike? Has your run been affected?

If +2 minutes on the swim equates to better than -2 minutes on the bike then you are quicker overall and that what counts.

12 months ago I could barely swim 300m FC. I taught myself using the TI book and can now cope with 800M+ FC. My times are just over 2:00/100m which is not good but is slowly getting better.

Also, a friend has been watcing me in the pool and says that TI has given me a body roll which in turn moves my hips (and then ankles) all over the place when I am swimming (snake hips he calls it)

One of the problems with teaching yourself is that it is difficult to be sure that you are doing the drills correctly. If you get something slightly wrong then all the drill will do is ingrain the imperfection. Ideally a coach would be able to spot this and allow you to correct the problem. If you do not have a coach then a friend who is aware of what you are trying to achieve will hopefully be able to give advice. You then need to find the appropriate drill to correct the error.