Home Chat General Chat

I won a free place at london!!

Ha, i have won a free place at London[:)] How good is that!!!!!!!

Doesn't give me long to get ready though[&:]

How easy is it to get to excel?? and how good is parking??

Whats the bike like, and whats the run like DONT TELL ME HOW COLD THE WATER IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE A GOOD RACE EVERYBODY[;)]

Comments

• good one matty,

i got one as well so stoked but also bit scared with lack of preparation.

are you in the 9am wave???

at least there shouldn't be too many people there at that time to see me come out near the tail!!!

no idea about parking etc?? hope will get an e-mail today

good luck amigo.

E.T
  • taytay Posts: 18
    I won a place too! I am in the 12.15 competition sprint wave so maybe see you there....parking for competitors is at the excel centre (spectators will use off site parking and get a transfer bus). jubilee line down between canary wharf and canning town, so dlr for spectators best option. good luck!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Free place?

Where?

How?
  • djtvdjtv Posts: 28
    Hey Guys - me too!

4 days isn't much time to prepare. I may give it a miss though, after two weeks drinking and eating in the sun I am not sure I will do myself justice.

I think I won it in a Times competition but it was so long ago I forgot about it.

There was no mention of me winning, just the number came through in the mail this morning. Corporate Sat 12:15 start.

I won mine through a Mazda magazine (I don't even own a Mazda so am totally confused) and also had forgotten about it until they called a few weeks ago! At least its a sprint so not too far, and the 12.15 wave doesnt look massive like some of them....
    Tay

The 12:15 wave looks like 220 people. That is a lot in my book - look for me at the start, I shall be way at the back to avoid the washing machine!

To help with the ID - I shall be in a black wet suit wearing goggles and the same colour cap as everyone else [:D]

DJ

my friend (who has been doing this for longer than the 3 months I have) says there are nearly 450 in her wave, so was thinking that relatively ours is not so big, but still more than enough! I have only done a couple of small races so we'll see how it goes. I too will be at the back in an undistinctive black wetsuit and coloured hat so am sure you will spot me....
    Tay

This will be my 6th I think and by far the biggest wave, but then after 25meters I will be way behind everyone anyway so it will not matter much - unless I can draft somone really fast and hang on for dear life!

DJ

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    What a nice happy bunch of LUCKY BASTARDS!!! [:D][image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • mattymatty Posts: 37
    Hey all,

I got my just by doing Blenheim and like everybody else am think S#*t thats like in 3 days!!!!!!![&:]

I reckon i am pm sometime i haven't even been sent my start time yet.

I hope you all have a great day. This is only my 3rd tri so is a bit daunting. I just hope that the water is not as cold as Blenheim!!!![:@]

Cheers guys
  • I got one of these in the post yesterday.

Think there was a comp on the Guardian website months ago. Forgot I entered and have had a couple of weeks off due to illness and holiday.

Oh well, might as well do it as it beats a solo training session. I'm in the 12.15 corporate wave so might see some of you guys there.

However, anyone got any tips on Sprint distance racing? I've only ever done olly and 70.3 distances. I assume I just go faster.
    Hi Matty, start times are on London Tri website (havent got mine through post either) and it says can pick up numbers etc on day if they dont arrive in time! good luck!
  • mattymatty Posts: 37
    Hi tay,

My name is not on there yet either[&:] I have e-mailed them though so should be ok.

Good luck to you too
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Just got an email...

I'm in too.

Woo hoo!!!!!![:)]

Mmmm.... gonna need a wesuit![:D]
    I just received an email from the Guardian (who it turns out I won the place through).

They are apologising for the late notice and have offered to defer my free entry till next year if that would be easier.

Just coming back from two weeks holiday with no training and looking at the weather forecast I may take them up on the offer.

Did anyone else get the same?
  • djtv, I got the same email from the Guardian yesterday and have taken them up on the offer of a 2009 place.

Pretty lucky they offered this as I had forgotten my wife is away this weekend and I'm in sole charge of our kids (and as they are 2 and 3 that means no racing for me).