Home Chat General Chat

Open water goggles

Can someone please recommend a pair of swimming goggles that can be used in Open Water.

I am doing my first open water swim soon and apparently my indooor pool goggles are no good.

Please recommend a good, water-tight pair.

Cheers,

Craig

Comments

• runnerbeanrunnerbean Posts: 16
    Personally I've never found those open water specific ones which look like you're about to go snorkelling in, any good whatsoever. Maybe someone else has...? Aquasphere Kaiman goggles are really good. They have this fantastic gadgety thing which lets you tighten the goggles that little bit more (very good for open water swimming), but if it's too tight, release them with the little lever at the edge of the eye socket until you get it just right. This is much better than the immovable plastic you find in most goggles.

If you are open water swimming it might be good to wear two caps - one cap you wear your goggles over, and another over the top so no one can kick your goggles off. Triathlon bods are usually a friendly lot, but the start of a race is a bit of a frenzy and accidents can happen.

Anyway - I've found aquasphere fantastic - they're about a tenner and you can use them outdoors and indoors! Hurrah! If you're not sure though, put the goggles up to your eye sockets. If you get a good vacuum you know they're going to fit your face well. It's all in the vacuum! Good luck.

• plingbootplingboot Posts: 19
    I've gone back to speedo speedsockets after trying nearly every kind of "open water google". The eyeball sucking and slightly hit n miss seal (water creeping in mid race) negatives far out weighed the slightly wider field of view for me.

Looking a right dick, like biggles in a wesuit, didn't help either…
  • I don't think there is any real advantage to the larger open-water goggles compared with indoor ones..

As long as they fit your face (ie suction technique) you should be okay.

I would suggest buying either speedo or Zoggs cos they seem to know what they are doing.

Also make sure you use them quite a few times in the pool beforehand so you are used to them.

Also (pt 2) don't get the dark tinted ones because it makes everwhere look even darker on a miserable day such as yesterdays Blenheim triathlon.....;-)

Cheers
  • craig75craig75 Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the help. Received my Aquasphere Kaiman goggles today.
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    Good choice Craig.

For me those larger open water goggles seem like bigger targets for accidents to happen to.