Home Chat Race Chat

First event

BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
Hey guys,

Girlfriend and I are just starting out in the world of Tri's and looking for a gentle start.

Looking at the Sprint event at Stratford-upon-Avon in October but wanted to ask if you more epxerienced guys have done this event/course and if it's suitable for a couple of Tri-virgins?

Cheers

BEEF

Comments

• hlidhlid Posts: 7
    Hi Beef,

Not done that one but sure you will be fine. The Cotswold Tri in September is a great one, nice swim and the bike has no real hills and the run is flat as it goes round the lake. http://www.triferris.com

HLID
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    Thanks for that.....

I had looked at the Cotswold event but promised to go to Sherborne to support an athlete I have been working with who is doing her first Ironman so don't really want to let her down.

The Stratford course looks friendly enough so will go for that one.

[:)]
  • AmazonAmazon Posts: 57
    Stratford is a great venue for a 1st tri, the entire course from what i remember is flat.

The only thing I would say is that it can be a bit cold getting on the bike after coming out of a warm swimming pool so you may want to wear a cycle jersey over your tri suit on the ride, by the run you'll have dried out!

Also be careful to stop for traffic lights on the route - 1 set I think - It's an instant DQ if you don't obey the rules of the road, quite a few got caught out when I did it. They do have a marshall there who makes a note of yor number, and you are awarded time back.

So you've not been tempted to do the Ironman with the girl your going to watch then??? If you've been training with her you'll blast Stratford! Maybe next year?

I hope she does OK!
  • BEEFBEEF Posts: 43
    Thanks for the advice Amazon.

I would love to do an Ironman but it's probably a little down the road for me.

The girl we are going to watch at Sherborne is an athlete I work with and she has only been cycling for 15 months (literally learned to ride) and has already done 2 sprints and the UK70.3 so not doing too bad.

Did a replica sesson (ish) of the Stratford sprint event today and found it fairly comfortabe so fingers crossed