Home Chat General Chat

Triathlon Clubs

guv001guv001 Posts: 227
Just wondering out of all of us on here, most are quite new to tri. How many of you have joined tri clubs, I joined one almost as soon as I decided to do triathlons. The arguements for and against clubs were discussed before I think I prefer (when well) to train with the club for 3 days a week and by myself for the other 3 with 1 rest day. The club provides me with a little motivation and is also good for lectures coached swimming etc as well as discounts on certain things.

Comments

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I am really tempted to join Ipswicg Tri Club, which is my local. I would only be able to train once a week with them for the next couple of months. So am waiting.

I have definately heard the benefits are immense though. So I will join end July I hope.

I guess I want to get fit before training with them guys.

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Jason - I can totally understand the mentality of what your saying one session per week if I join & those guys are so much fitter ...... surely one session per week to compliment your existing training is an enhanced week & will lift your fitness accordingly. Not to mention the experience you can tap into & make contacts. Joing my club made a massive positive impact upon not only my training but also upon but motivation and self beleif in respect of training / races.

but hey

madnurse
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I joined up with Crawley, but they don't really meet up often enough for my liking at the moment (once on Sundays and maybe once during the week) I would certainly like to have more opportunities to train as a group as I usually end up having a more 'structured' training session.
    OK I am convince, I have just sent off my club forms to Ipswich tri club. You gits lol
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    It will be like the first day at school again when you go to your first training session, after that everything will be fine. Isn't it amazing how we always feel we have to be at a certain standard before we will mix with others to do something I was exactly the same with running always putting it off until I was this or that fast.
    I just try to put running off full stop lol
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    I have just joined TuFF Fitty tri club, it means i get a reduced price on the BTA licence but i have to compete in 10 races a year to claw back my BTA membership. Still you do get the insurance, won't fall off though will I! They are also affiliated to the time trail association so i can do bike time trials as well.

Although it is the only local club it is quite a way away so i won't be able to train with them much, but it will be good to race with/against them.

I have a good training network; a running club and a coached swim training session.

David

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    For any one interested Redhill cycle club hold a good time trial every week. Just crop up and pay £2 and your in, no licence needed etc, worth it if you want to try something a bit different in your training regiem.
  • i was just wondering about whether to join a tri club, untill i read your post. As i am new to triathlon i think joining a club will be an excellent start to the sport.The problem is i cannot find a club local to me. I have tried all the web sites to no avail.If any one knows one in my area, i live in Telford Shropshire i would be most grateful
    hi Gary - havea look at this see if you can see one local http://www.triathletes-uk.org/clubs.html

madnurse
  • thanks for link madnurse i ve tried that one again to no avail the nearest club listed was 30 miles away . I will will keep looking
    gary - have you contacted telford harriers - they seem to have links with the ironbridge traithlon - might be worth asking them - failing that contact the BTA & speak to your regional development officer - they should be able to help you

phil
  • Cheers phill i will give them a try