Home Chat General Chat

SBR Shop or Evans Cycles?

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Felt F3 and the best price is at Evan's cycles or for £50 more at SBR sports (although I would get a discount on add ons etc. at SBR). Which would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Ian

Comments

• Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    Try searching for SBR on this forum. Should help the decision making process.
  • Hold on!!!

I'd have reservations about both.

For SBR see other threads but I've never had a problem. What I would say is they will have far more expertise in building your bike than Evans.

I understand from someone in the trade that the standard of build at non-racing bike shops can vary hugely.

If I were you I'd try and get some feedback on the quality of build from those who've used the shops and I guess this is one handy way of dipping into several hundred triathletes experiences.

Personnally I wouldn't buy a race bike from Evans. I'd go tri specific or race shop.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    As I and other have posted before - check out www.slanecycles.com and phone before you buy for a truly excellent deal. Absloutlely Amazing deals on bikes - they reckon that they are the cheapest in Europe
  • IanfIanf Posts: 23
    Thanks guys. I've read about SBR online, but I know from experience their shop/ shop staff are pretty good. I'm a bit concerned about Evan's cycles' lack of tech know how too.

Treefrog, I've looked at slane cycles and the only reason I'm not using them is they don't sell the bike I want.

Anyone got any stories about dealing with them as shops, not online?
  • I've used both Evans and SBR (both stores) and have found SBR staff to be much more clued up on tri related stuff. evans don't really have the specific knowledge and feel they just give basic training and aren't as passionate about the sport.

Id always go to a tri specific shop. Sigma Sports are also suberb!!!
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Got my bike from Evans as our company does the ride2work thingy with them.... however I've never been back and use SBR for my triathlon needs, never had the problems others seem to have had, but then I go to the shop rather than use the website, sbrsteve certainly knows his stuff about bikes and gave mine a couple of tweaks last week before London which completely changed the comfort and rideability of my steed.... I'll be using them to get my TT bike and retire my existing bike to winter training.
    Thanks all.

Steve, I've looked at sigma sport (they were my first choice actually), but again, they don't do the bike I want; which is a pain as I'm off to Richmond in a minute and would have been able to sneak one in the back of my car when the girlfriend was not looking![:D]

I'll be the new guinea pig and give SBR a go (I think). I'll let you all know how they deal with my novice demands!

Many thanks
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Ianf wrote:

Thanks all.

Steve, I've looked at sigma sport (they were my first choice actually), but again, they don't do the bike I want; which is a pain as I'm off to Richmond in a minute and would have been able to sneak one in the back of my car when the girlfriend was not looking![:D]

I'll be the new guinea pig and give SBR a go (I think). I'll let you all know how they deal with my novice demands!

Many thanks

PM sbrsteve on this forum and find out when he's around and he knows his bike stuff... try and get a red bike as they are faster ;-)
    Ok, plan B.

I went to Sigma Sport in Kingston upon Thames today (I felt like a kid in a sweet shop!) and although they don't currently sell Felt (they have one TT in the shop and are considering more Felt's) the guy I dealt with phoned Felt UK and got a bike from them! Not only that, he then sold it to me for £1600 or £150 cheaper than SBR! By the time I'd bought this, some new shoes, a Specialized Allez 09 for my gf, etc. I'd spent over £2.5k!

Probably a good day for them, but it was a great day for me: the knowledge and helpfulness were second to none and I left feeling I had bought the right bike(s) and am now looking forward to falling over on my first go! [:D]

Stevedavis, I owe you a powerade![;)]

Ian