Home Chat General Chat

Resting Heart Rates

Some might say daily, a change can indicate overtraining or illness, track over a couple of days & see if it was just a blip.

Me...I can't recall last time I checked it.

Comments

• zepp44zepp44 Posts: 4
    I hear a lot of people go on about resting heart rates, I am 50 and mine is 48, when training for triathlon do you need to check your rhr and how often?

Thanks

George.
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    I have been a little concerned as of late when I stand-up suddenly I feel a bit 'swimmy' headed. I've been upping the training recently and my RHR is now down to 42bpm. Is this too low? Is there a connection and is it a bad sign?

Feel great on it though, apart from the almost fainting moments.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I wouldn't worry too much mate, mine goes down to 36 sometimes, I believe lance Armstrong's was 32.

Clinically below 60 is cause for concern on the assessment form on admission to A+E!

• woodywoody Posts: 52
    the swimmy feeling is more likely to low blood pressure, especially when standing up quickly.

RHR for elite guys is 40-50bpm, but there is also a medical condition that causes low bpm, and can easily be confused. Not really sure if the medical condistion is serious, but some seem to worry. RHR for most is 50-70bpm.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Daily monitoring of rest heart rate is requested by our coaches in our club. We need to fill it in online on our training shedules, as well as body weight.

It is a very accurate parameter, that is warning you to back off. If you ignore it, two days later you'll curse yourself for not listening to it.

I know it sounds a bit elaborate, and my coaches nag about it all the time I skip it. They're right, but hey: I'm not a pro, I'm in it for fun!!!![8D]
    Thanks peeps

Had yesterday off training as I felt a bit jaded (felt guilty and rotund) and just got back from a steady 1 hr Tempo Run. Felt really strong and 'bursting' to go quicker. Maintained my discipline though and now feel back 'on it'.

Will keep an eye on the swimmy head thing and watch my resting HR. I'm in no way 'elite'[:@]
  • Mine's 52 at the moment, but that's probably the lowest I've ever been. Although they put 50-70 average, that's for averagely fit/slim/healthy people. Most people are not in that category these days, so anything below 70 is much better than the average person on the bus. Below 50 is v.low, but I also heard about Lance Armstrong's HR and I think Miguel Indurain was also about 38. I would guess that 48 for a 50 year old is probably OK as long as you consider yourself to be an extremely fit 50yo. But then I'm not a doctor.... I always thought of HR's as being "the lower, the better", though clearly 0 would be a little too low....
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    yeah, think 0 would be alittle low, thanks for the giggle[:D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Had an episode of 0 following a car crash a few years ago, I don't remember it at the time [;)] but i know i felt shit after it! hehe.

But in regards to heart rate we would be more worried about a patient coming in with low rather than high heart rate, but this is only really going to be a cause for concern in an unconscious patient!

• I always thought the lower the resting heart rate the better (for athletes) and so I was happy that mine is now 43/42! I read in one of the autobiographies that when Tim Foster (rower) lacerated his wrist at a party and was taken to hospital they were really worried and started doing lots of tests on him to find out what was wrong as he was high 30's. Something to aspire to!

As for tests for how rested you are, I didn't think your actual resting heart rate was any indication. Not being able to get your heart rate up is considered a sign of over-training. The other test you can do first thing in the morning is take your resting heart rate lying down, then stand up quickly and then sit back down, wait 1 minute and see how close your heart rate gets back to your resting level. You should do this when completely rested to set a 'benchmark' and then when training you can try it again to test how rested you are relatively.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Blimey... all these low 40s heart rates! My MRHR is mid-fifties. I'm sooo unfit.[8D]
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Well, having read this thread this morning, I have had my monitor on for the last two hours (going to the gym tonight - I don't just carry it round in case somebody wants to know my HR!) and I have averaged 66, with a range between 54 and 108 (after running upstairs).

It seems my reting HR is nothing like as low as some of you guys, and I don't think it's ever been much different. I used to do a lot of track running - I was running mid 53 seconds for the 400mH but my resting HR was never in the 40s or low 50s.

Is there a difference between the types of efforts required for sprints and endurance events that would lead to this type of disparity?
  • I did the performace test thing the other day on my Polar HRM and scored 58. I got 48 three months ago so the training is working [:D]. Apparently this translates to the VO2max but I don't know if it's a direct translation.

Resting HR is now 40-42 but averages 170-175 for a normal run and peaks at 195.
  • djtvdjtv Posts: 28
    Nivagh

You need to be truly resting when testing your resting HR. I recommend lying down for 2/3 minutes before measuring it and try not to move when you measure it.

This will give you a much lower (and more representative) fugure than a measure whilst going about your daily chores.

Also, if you are very fit then the heart rate will jump slightly even if you raise your amr to look at your watch!

DJ
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Thanks - will try tomorrow morning if I remember. While I had the strap on, it was rising about 10 bpm when I sneezed, which was just bizarre!
    To be correct, resting heart rate should be tested in the morning, immediately after waking up,

before getting up out of bed!!! Wake up, keep lying down and thats the moment to take the rest pulse.
    Nivagh

While you had the strap-on? No wonder your RHR was a little elevated.[;)]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Steady...
  • Some thing i never quite understood about resting hr is when you should take it? [ul][*]Sitting down[*]Lying down[*]Just as you wake up [/ul]Andy

p.s. if i take when i am lying down watching tv mean is only 38bpm

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    All of the above..what were you watching?
  • Yeah Bobo, undfit, sore shoulder...I have heard it all from you![8|] R u doing a middle distance this week-end any chance?

SwimminTukker

Brind Surch wrote:

p.s. if i take when i am lying down watching tv mean is only 38bpm

Is the tv on then? What program?? Cause mine usually goes off chartswhen watching all that crappy stuff thats on.[:D]

You should take it just after waking up, still lying down: thats your true resting rate!!
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Had my 'resting' pulse taken for a police entry examination last week - came out at 48, felt like it was hammering though!

Tried taking my proper resting rate a while back so I wore the strap to bed and was so excited when i woke that it had rocketed. Very sad!

I read somewhere that Greg Lamond regularly recorded 28bpm. Must have had a heart the size of his head!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    As is mine taken yesterday, 38 bpm.

I took mine using f11 and it rates that as moderate.
  • what the hell must low be then, and any thing normal one of about 70 would be really bad lol
  • Why would you be doing a resting heart rate? If you run, do sports and working out all the time, it should range between 45-55. I run 6 miles every other day and mine is 48. I don't check it every day.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    If I ever take my pulse when resting I get 58. Not tried first thing in the morning. However when I now put on my HRM (only recently got one) it tends to start at 54 or so.

The HRM asks me for my resting HR to work out my net calorie consumption.
    koslis wrote:

Why would you be doing a resting heart rate? If you run, do sports and working out all the time, it should range between 45-55. I run 6 miles every other day and mine is 48. I don't check it every day.

It is proven that elevated rest heart rate(RHR) is linked to overtraining, illness,....(all things you don't like as a triathlete).

Keeping an eye on your RHR , for example by checking daily , can warn you for oncoming illness. On days like that, training would not be wise, cause you make the immune system more vulnerable and you can get sick. Noticing the elevated RHR and doing no or recovery training that day, could make the difference between getting over it or being in bed for a few days.

Our club asks all members to follow RHR closely and put the daily data into our login training program daily.

Having said all this, I know RHR is a quality tool, but I for one am REALLY too lazy to do it myself.[:)]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I haven't taken mine for a while but a few years ago ...well 10 years ago... whilst at the peak of my rowing career I had to regularly undergo routine medical monitoring and I had it clocked at 28bpm but my max HR was lower than normal 204bpm.

I think it can be used as a guide as it will vary from person to person and from situation to situation. ie a relaxing sports doctor's surgery on a day off trining is going to be less stressful than awhen its' being measured for a police application!

• Your resting heart rate is a measurement you can use to track changes in your cardiovascular health. Your heart beats enough times so that supply of Oxygen to the muscles can be met by their demand.

So at rest you should have a low demand and therefore supply can be low. so when fit you have a greater ability to extract the oxygen from the blood at your muscles because of an increased efficiency. so per beat, you as fit people are getting more out of each blood cell, so you need less circulation of blood.... less beats per minute.

when you are fighting an illness or your body is desperately trying to recover from a hard session, your body will require more oxygen so your heart rate will be higher...

coffee, tea, red bull, digesting a meal, stress, etc etc all elevate your HR so if you wake up and think, oh Sh%% i have work today, you already increased your HR.

regular testing will level out these changes and give you an average. usually 10 beats per minute over your average is cause for concern. Hit the Vit C, keep HR low when training for 2 days (or rest - can you beleive i said that) and see what happens.

best of luck