Home Chat General Chat

Are bike prices about to jump??

I was wondering if anyone else had been told by the local tri shop that bike prices are expected to increase dramatically next year?? I was looking at frames/tri bkies yesterday and discussing 09 frames when the tech from the shop informed me that they (the shop) were expecting prices to be significantly higher (15-20%) next year due to increased production/transportation costs etc....they only stock cube and isaac so I not sure if it is a Germany bike supply thing....

Has anyone else heard anything similar??

Thanks

I.

Comments

• They say that every year......... Just Marketing speak.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate i am a sales man

and what that means is you should BUY NOW, or face the possibility of an increased purchase cost.

Its a sales technique to get you to but today.( an old one )

If anything with the world encomomy as it is, as a manufacturer you would be barking to increase prices at the moment.
  • Thanks, I kind of guessed that I just wanted to make sure there was not some well known issue I had not heard of....[:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I did read that world wide supplies of carbon may be diminished, many more users & uses, oil used in manufacture etc which may push prices up.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    oh no! carbon shortage! thats like saying red is an illegal colour! will triathlon die without carbon?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    TommiTri wrote:

oh no! carbon shortage! thats like saying red is an illegal colour! will triathlon die without carbon?

First a carbon shortage then it is metal alloy,what it does is level the playing field as everyone will be riding home made wooden bikes .At least they will be carbon neutral competitions then.
  • mike_trimike_tri Posts: 60
    i spose there could be an increase in the price of foreign bikes due to the increases in the cost of fuel. this would increase the price to transport the bikes from wherever and the manufactorers could pass these cost increases onto the purchaser to try and keep their profits the same/increasing. i doubt the increase would be anything significant though beacause then they would lose costumers [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]. i feel like a right geek now [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    mike_tri wrote:

i spose there could be an increase in the price of foreign bikes due to the increases in the cost of fuel.

wheras I was told when I bought my road bike a few months ago that almost all bikes are made in taiwan and shipped from there. so shipping costs should be standard across the board in effect (unless of course you then buy online from the USA say and have it shipped here at that juncture maybe!)

didds

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Sounds like a medieval salesman talk: buy today, tomorrow double prices!!

I'd say if they take you for a fool, go somewhere else, where they cut the crap and talk like normal people. I went to two bike stores to order my new steed; one was with a man who could sell you the clothes you wear, but didn't know anything about 73° tubes,bike repairs,...

The other one is a guy who told me to buy that or that bike, cause it suited best my profile. Not the most expensive one,but the onethat fits me best.

Sorry about the blabbering on, went out ofcontrol here, oops....[&:]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Don't worry once I start my '09 collection they will settle back again as will the inflation rate!!!!

• transittransit Posts: 163
    On a mtb forum I 'frequent' a few mths ago there were a no. of posts from bike shop techies reporting that shimano were increasing prices due to lack of raw material - think the general consensus was metal shortage rather than carbon. You just never know how these things might go, I'm going to make a bike out of purest red, not sure how, but it's gonna be quick.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    tee hee... LOL at treefrog's comment.

I'd always suspected bike prices drop sharply once the treefrog wallet gets put away. Let us all know when you've finished buying so we can all step in and see what (if anything) is still left in the shops. [:D]
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    I'm a buyer and the 'funny' thing about the last year is that prices have been going up for pretty much everything in the last 8-12 months following an extremly stable (and reducing prices) of the year preceeding.

I don't buy bikes (unfortunatly) but seeing as eveything a bike is made from has seen dramatic increase in cost over the last year, as has the bike shop selling them I predict like for like prices will increease by 10-15% in line with the all other markets.

The evil marketeers will still sell you bikes at the set price points - £500 / £800 / £1000 / £1400 / £1800 etc. you will just get less for your money... get ready for SLOW red bikes and carbon 'EFFECT' frames. Die marketeers die!!
    Do they have that power? Can they do that? Can they make red bikes slow? Is there no limit to their power & evil?
  • Will it mean yellow will have to be the new red???

[:D][:D]
  • djtvdjtv Posts: 28
    There was an interview in a JBST podcast earlier this year with a chap from Scott I think it was (may have been Giant - I cannot remember). He was going through their Carbon bike manufacture which was interesting in itself (if you like that sort of thing!).

As an aside he explained that Boeing and Airbus have bought up most of the carbon supplies in the world and have taken options on future carbon supplies for years to come and as a result we would see carbon bikes go up in priice. Carbon fibre comes from a by-product of Oil refining which could also explain the price hikes.

I'll be first to buy a Boeing or Airbus carbon bike when they come out then!

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    You'll fly on that.

oh come on, it's what you were all thinking.

I'll get me coat.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    nivagh, wrong oh so wrong.

Last year i took my son on holiday, it cost £ 190 each for a week in the sun all in

this year every broker/ holiday rep/company told me there would be no way i would get a holiday for anywhere near that price.

not with the world slow down, price of fuel etc.

I've just come back from turkey £ 220 each( the differance was the transfer cost)

I sell cars for a living in 2005 a golf 1.6 se would cost you £15130.

every year we have price increases so thats three years of price increases at approx 1.5 % per year.

a golf 1.6 se/match today would cost you £ 15020.

go figure.

Do a google search for a felt f3

you get this

[image]http://www.google.co.uk/images/shopbag.gif[/image]

[color=#0000cc]Felt F3[/color]

£2,000.00 - [color=#008000]holcros cycles[/color]

[color=#0000cc]Felt F3 Semi Matt Clear 60cm 2008 (60cm)[/color]

£1,998.90 - [color=#008000]Bonthrone Bikes[/color]

[color=#0000cc]Felt F3 Semi Matt Clear 56cm 2008 (56cm)[/color]

£1,749.99 - [color=#008000]Swim Bike Run[/color]

but evans cycles will sell you that bike for £ 1699.

No matter what happens to the market and with carbon production, someone somewhere will sell you the bike an only make a fraction of the profit.

Market forces the consumer is god, not the manufacturer,distributor or the shop owner.

with out your money they all go bust, and you still but a differant bike if it be scott,felt,etc, etc, etc.

But the market is always rigged...somewhere, somehow, profit has to be made.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Not necessarily.

It looks better to sell through remaining stock and make a loss, but in doing so, recover some of your outlay and reduce your overall profit margin than to roll into the next financial year with less cash and depreciating assets on your books.

Ie. If a retailer buys 100 bikes at £500 each and sells them for £600, at the end of the year he can easily afford to sell the last ten for £400 each and make a loss, because he already made £9,000 on the first 90.

It means that his overall profit for the year is 16% with zero stock on hand, rather than 8% with £5,000 of stock on hand.