Home Chat General Chat

Beginner

Hi! Can anyone help - I'm interested in doing a sprint event next year (concentrating this year on fitness and skills) but have no idea which venue/event would be best - in terms of expected standard for a novice?

Thanks

Jane

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Personally I think it all depends on where you are from.

I would highly recommend doing one close to home, there are so many to choose from and it is so great having friends and family there to cheer you on!

• Jane1Jane1 Posts: 4
    I'm down in the south west - plymouth, but have family up north so more than happy to try one up there as well - I just wondered where to pitch myself and what was a good one for beginners that won't be too daunting :o)

Thanks

• Hi Jane,

I did my first triathlon a few weeks ago at Dorney Lake in Eton. I did the Timex Women's Only triathlon (www.humanrace.co.uk) which has loads of different distances available including a Novice distance - 200m swim, 10km cycle, 2.5km run. I'm told it's a great place to do your first open water swim (as it was my first I have nothing to compare it too!) but I would definitely recommend doing a few practice sessions in open water beforehand.

As TommiTri says, it depends where your from but the Blenheim, Windsor and London triathlons are very popular!

Hope you find one that suits [:)]
    Thanks Belly Jelly - how did you get on? Was it what you expected :o)
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    I did Bath Sprint as my first triathlon at the end of July and loved it.

The hills on the bike were pretty tough, but I an afraid I have no idea how it compares to other events.

Oh and I bloody loved it!

Check out here http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/index.php for race dates.

Enjoy the training
    Thanks Linds I'll definitely check this out. x